Peony Photos

Category Garden
A pink peony bloom.
Peonies are native throughout the northern hemisphere. Their large showy flowers are sometimes quite fragrant and add interest to a sunny garden location. This page contains peony photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I cut these peonies because a thunderstorm was coming. I took this picture, because I think they are really beautiful. Hope you like them, too.

By Stella L.

Peonies

Comment Like this photo? 12

Lovely photo, Stella! Thanks for sharing them.

Reply Like this photo? 1

Wow, what beautiful flowers, well done on growing such beauties!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

They are just gorgeous Stella! Thank you for sharing the picture with us.

Hugs, Paula

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I am so jealous. I absolutely love peonies..the smell is so fabulous. They are just gorgeous!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

You know Stella, you could have this picture printed off into 4 wallets. You could then glue one of them to the front of a piece of copy folded into 4th's, write a little saying in it about "hoping these flowers make you smile" and send it to a friend. I bet it would, cause they sure are pretty!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I'm sorry, I meant to say "copy paper". I apparently can't proof read my own work. lol

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Well done.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

What is your growing secret? I cannot get my peonies to flourish.

DennisInTexas

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

My peony bulb was so Crimson pink and when I blew two years later, it came out white. Can anybody tell me why? Thank you. Is it the acidity in the soil?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
I have always loved the sweet fragrance and beauty of peonies. Years ago a friend would bring a bouquet to work for all of us to enjoy. Now I finally have some of my own!

Photo Location
Jamesville, NC

Comment Like this photo? 2

They are beautiful.

Reply Like this photo? Yes
Anonymous

Thanks! My only concern is when there are tiny black ants in them. Have you seen that before?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Sorry I just now noticed your comment. Ants have always been on every peony bush I have ever seen. They do no harm to the plant. Some people think the ants are necessary for the buds to open, but that's not true. The bud has a tiny bit of sticky 'nectar' that the ants like.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I have lived in the Tarheel state all my life. This is my first time to know there is a town here named 'Jamesville'. In 2010, the census showed the population to be 491. Maybe that's why.

A town that small has to have a lot of charm, and maybe a little peace and quiet. A lot different where I am with several hundred thousand.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Yes, our town is really small and we love living in the country. Sounds like you live in a very large city...do you like that?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This was a well-traveled peony bush! It was taken from cuttings back in 2005 from a bush in my folk's yard, that in turn had come from my Grandma's yard in Wisconsin, more than 35 years earlier.

The bush is now over 4 feet across and almost 4 feet high. This blossom was so large (almost 6 inches across) and so exquisitely 'pink'. The bright green foliage contrasted beautifully, due to being a bit cloudy that day. I liked it so much I use it as my screensaver.

By Mary CS from Woodridge, Illinois

A pink peony surrounded by green leaves.

Comment Like this photo? 7

So beautiful! Does it have a name?

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Very, very pretty. Mine has not bloomed at all this year, but still looks healthy. I live in Toledo, OH zone 5. Any ideas of why it may not have bloomed? Thanks, Kathy

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I always get excited about my first peony bloom of the season. I think they are one of the most beautiful flowers. I wish they lasted longer!

By Elaine

A large pink peony blossom.

Comment Like this photo? 16

I built the bird house and the little chair. Some years the peonies bloom, sometimes not. Sparrows nest in there.

By Dave

Peonies

Comment Like this photo? 2

Love that little "cottage" look. Very nice. I'm sure the little sparrows enjoy their home too. This is a very lovely picture. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Pookarina

Reply Like this photo? Yes

This vibrant shocking pink peony is a relative of a peony that dates back to WW2. While it isn't as big as my white peonies, this one holds a special place in my heart since it was from my dear mother-in-law's peony that she transplanted from her home during the 40's. She has been gone for many years now but every year when my special peony blooms it reminds me of her.

By Janet

A bright pink peony blooming outside.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Every spring my peony bush near my driveway entrance at my home has buds on it that blossom into pristine pink blooms that are transparent as the sun catches a petal of the bloom.

A very light pink peony in bloom.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 1

I took this in mid-May 2012 as my next-door neighbor's garden had its best peony season ever.

Pink peonies in bloom.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is a close-up of one of my peony blooms after a rain shower.

By Debbie

Answers:

Garden: Peony Photos

Very pretty. Good luck. (05/26/2010)

By kffrmw88

Garden: Peony Photos

Awesome close up.Thanks for sharing. (05/27/2010)

By keeper60

These are some pictures of my Mom's Peonies. I think they are just beautiful and so very fragrant

By Debbie from Berwick, ME

Answers:

Garden: Peony Photos

Ooo - I wish I could grow something like that! I don't think peonies do well in the south, tho. Thanks so much for sharing this beauty with us. God bless you. (07/02/2009)

By tedsmom

Garden: Peony Photos

Beautiful picture! Peonies are my favorite flower because of their beauty and smell, but most of all they remind me of my beautiful grandmother because they were her favorite as well. I have not yet tried to grow them myself. (07/02/2009)

By Cindy S.

Peonies and ants, what to do? You can't have Peonies without ants, as far as I know from experience. The ants love the sweetness of the budding beauty. Don't let that stop you from cutting them and putting them in a vase. Shake them, gently tape them on the ground or flick those little trespassers off with your finger.

The perfume will fill your room. I've brought hundreds of Peonies into my house and never have I gotten invaded by ants. You might get a few, but they won't overtake the premises. If that bothers you, then put them on a covered porch so you can sit and enjoy their scent.

By Deb H. from East Brunswick, NJ

Answers:

Garden: Peony Photos

That sounds fun I am going to plant some this year. I already have morning glories! Robyn (04/29/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Garden: Peony Photos

Just lovely - this is what I miss about living in FL. (05/02/2009)

By LadyDi1947

Garden: Peony Photos

God gives us all lovely flowers, but sadly HE decided to give us in So.Ca. many plants just as pretty, but no peonies for us. These are pretty enough to eat! Having worked as a floral designer and having peonies shipped in. They didn't have a fragrance after being refrigerated.
sigh. GG Vi (05/02/2009)

By Great Granny Vi

My passion is gardening and one of my many favorites are the Peonies. This Peony is ready to burst into glorious bloom! And the fragrance fills the air, how serene.

Don't be afraid to divide these beauties. I've done it with a shovel in the fall or early spring. It might sound harsh, but I just put the shovel where I want to divide, leaving at least 6 sprouts, and shove the shovel straight down.

Then dig around the perimeter, about 8 inches deep. Loosen from the existing plant and transplant to another sunny location. They won't put on a great display the first year, but your patience will be rewarded!

By Deb H. from East Brunswick, NJ

Answers:

Garden: Peony Photos

These are beautiful pictures. We have a couple of peonies in our garden and love them. Thanks for the idea about dividing them. We may try that this fall. (04/24/2009)

By Happy05

I simply love peonies! Their beauty in the Spring and their fragrance just warms my heart!
I use the typical peony rings to support those big beautiful blooms, but I also use medium size round tomato cages. I spray painted them green and put them in place in April before the plant gets too tall. Over the years as the peony widens I just put a second cage next to the other. They stay in place all summer because the leaves of the peony hide the cage. The cages are a bit taller than the typical peony rings, which helps hold their blooms up high! A proud flower I'd say!

By Deb H. from East Brunswick, NJ

Answers:

Garden: Peony Photos

Deb, that is beautiful! Don't you wish they lasted longer? (04/17/2009)

By Laniegirl

Garden: Peony Photos

Hi Deb!
Peonies are my favorite flower too! Just like Laniegirl said, I wish they would last longer. I love their scent. What is the name of the peony in the photo? Every year I add one or more peony plants to my garden. (04/19/2009)

By SueBee

Garden: Peony Photos

Guess this is the "peonies lovers club" cause I'm joining. I have several peonies. One is a deep cerise. It's from my mother-in-law's peony. She is gone many years now. The beauty of the peony reminds me of what a beautiful person she was. She used to call them peony roses. they do smell like roses don't they? Yours is beautiful! (04/19/2009)

By Jan Lee

Garden: Peony Photos

SueBee, I don't know the name of my peonies. My neighbor was getting rid of hers and offered them to me! She had them planted in a very shady site, so they never flowered for her. I told her to plant them in the sun and they'd probably flower by the next year. She didn't want to do that, I was thrilled to receive them and have enjoyed them for years.

BTW Janlee mentioned her mother-in law's peony. My Aunt had my grandmother's peony, about 70-80 years old! It was never divided so it was big enough for me to divide and give to my uncle, 2 cousins and myself, and leave a big portion for my Aunt. It is a beautiful reminder of the beautiful people who have graced our life! (04/19/2009)

By Deb H.