Pepper Steak Recipes

Category Chinese
Chinese pepper steak
This page contains pepper steak recipes. Beef strips seasoned with peppers, onions and other vegetables will make a delicious oriental flavored main dish at home.

This is a very easy way to get the good flavor of Chinese food without paying the high price. It cooks up fast and can be ready in about the same length of time you'd have to wait for Chinese Take-Out or Delivery.

Ingredients

• 3 lb. round steak, cut into strips
  • 3 tsp. Accent
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 cups bouillon
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. ginger
  • 2 tsp. soy sauce
  • 3 large green peppers, cut into strips
  • 2 medium onions, sliced
  • 4 medium tomatoes, peeled, cut into wedges
  • 4 tsp. cornstarch

Directions

Sprinkle steak with 2 teaspoons Accent. Brown in oil in skillet. Add next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add vegetables and remaining 1 teaspoon Accent. Cook for 5 minutes. Combine cornstarch with 4 teaspoons cold water, stirring to make smooth paste. Add paste to steak mixture. Cook until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Serve with rice or noodles.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Charlie Burke0 found this helpful

This preparation is a classic bistro dish and has many variations. In the past, the sauce tended to be heavy, containing large amounts of butter and cream. We prefer lighter -sauced preparations which complement the fish or meat being served. Traditionally, after cooking the steak, the pan is deglazed with cognac; I still do this on the rare occasions we have brandy but usually use red wine instead. If you've read other sauté recipes we've written, you will notice I place chopped shallots into the pan for a couple minutes before deglazing because they add depth to sauces. This recipe is quick and simple and relies on the use of highest quality ingredients.

There is a movement in New England toward raising grass fed beef, and it is worth seeking out sources. Naturally raised beef is also finding its way into meat markets. Use a tender cut such as strip sirloin which will remain tender and keep its juices during high heat cooking. Splurge on a good red wine such as a Pinot Noir from Oregon, serve the steak with sautéed mushrooms and a mixed salad and treat your guests to an easily prepared classic dish.

For four servings:

Have steaks at room temperature. Crack pepper with mortar and pestle or use a heavy pan to crack the pepper on the counter. Crack enough to lightly and evenly coat both sides of the steak. Salt steaks and press the steaks into the pepper so that it will adhere during cooking. Heat a heavy sauté pan large enough to hold the steaks without their touching over high heat. Add oil to pan and sauté steaks for 3 -4 minutes per side, depending on thickness, for medium rare. The meat will continue to cook from retained heat, so remove them before they reach your desired temperature.

An instant reading thermometer is very helpful, but do not worry about making a small slit into the thickest part of the meat to check. Place the steaks on a platter and tent with foil to keep warm while you finish the sauce. Having the meat rest for 5 - 10 minutes will keep the juices from running our when it's sliced.

Pour the fat from the pan and add the shallots, stirring so that they soften but do not brown. Add wine or cognac and the water or broth and reduce over high heat until the alcohol has evaporated and the sauce is slightly thickened. Return any juices from the steak to the pan and add butter if using. The butter enriches the flavor and balances any acidity from the wine. Plate the steaks, dividing the sauce among them and expect request is the future for this great bistro meal.

• 2 lbs. round beef steak, cut about 1/2 inch thick
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 cup bouillon cubes
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic salt or salt
  • 2 Tbsp. shortening
  • 3 large green peppers, cut in thin strips
  • 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 4 cups hot cooked rice

Directions:

Trim fat from steak and cut in thin strips. In medium bowl, for marinade, combine soy sauce, bouillon cube, and 1 cup hot boiling water. Stir in meat strips; cover and marinate in refrigerator overnight. Reserve marinade. Brown meat; add marinade and 1 cup of boiling water or more. Simmer 1 hour. Add green peppers and cook 15 minutes longer. Blend cornstarch with 1/3 cup cold water and add to marinade to make sauce. Serve with rice.

By Robin from Washington, IA

This is quite good.

Directions:

Heat shortening, add steak strips, garlic salt and pepper. Brown meat, add soy sauce and sugar. Cover and cook 5 minutes on high. Add bean sprouts, tomato, peppers and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes. Use cornstarch to thicken liquid into gravy consistency. Cook 10 minutes.

Serve over rice or noodles. Use the mushroom liquid and cornstarch to make a paste for gravy.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Pound steak to a 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into 1/4 inch wide strips. Sprinkle meat with paprika and allow to stand while preparing other ingredients. Using a large skillet, brown meat in butter. Add garlic and broth.

In a large deep skillet, season steaks, put a little bit of olive oil in pan and heat. Then brown steaks on both sides. Add vegetables and saute for 5 minutes, then add 1 cup of water. Add tomatoes, gravy and stir in well.

Cut beef into 3x1 inch strips; brown in a pan. Transfer to slow cooker. Combine next 7 ingredients; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low 5 to 6 hours.

I would like to learn how to make pepper steak.

Hi, because I'm allergic to pepper spices, I make mine with the pepper vegetable. Everybody loves it.

Here's my recipe: I use four pork steak pieces, cut in half. In a roaster I DO THIS 2 DIFFERENT WAYS:

1: Place tin foil down on bottom of roaster(lg black roaster) & place your cut pork steaks on tin foil. Cut up yellow onions or spanish onions or even red onions in rings. Place over or ontop of pork steak and all around the pork steak pieces. Cut up into small pieces green peppers(vegetables), red peppers ,orange colored, and yellow colored peppers. Or you can just use 2-3 green colored vegetable peppers. Add Clubhouse Italian spice, garlic plus, and vegetable spice. I also add more garlic salt or powder, celery salt, onion salt. Add enough cold water to cover pork steak and vegetables. Cook for about 45 minutes to hour at 350 degrees. So you are basically steaming your steak in the tin foil wrap.

2: Do the pork steak without the tin foil using the lid of the roaster instead with the above recipe. The steak comes out so you can cut it with a butter knife its so tender and moist.

I serve this recipe with cut up roasted potatoes on a cookie sheet or a flat pan that you stick in the oven.

Cut up potatoes into 1 in chunks, add pam extra virgin oil spray, to bottom of pan. Add potato chunks. Add Clubhouse Italian spice, vegetable spice and garlic plus. Add onion salt, celery salt and parley and tarragon spices. Add a sprinkling of extra virgin cooking oil. Place on bottom of oven rack, under the roaster so you are cooking them together in the same oven.

I steam cauliflower blend mixture vegetable that are frozen. When you have about 15 minutes to still cook on pork pepper steaks and roasted potatoes. After vegetable are tender but still slightly crisp and a tsp to tbsp of margarine or butter. Add about 2-3 tbsp Kraft Cheese Whiz to top of califlower blend you have placed in bowl, preferable glass with a lid. Let the cheese whiz melt for a few minutes, then stir,until the vegetables are covered. Enjoy.

Go to www.cooks.com , type in "pepper steak". You'll find loads of choices!

I have a simple and easy recipe.

1 1/2 pounds London broil

3 - 4 peppers sliced thin

2 - 3 onions sliced thin

2 cans of beef gravy

2 cans of condensed soup

2 - 3 tbls of Worcestershire sauce ( or to taste )

while meat is still partially frozen, slice into thin strips. saute' the peppers and onions in a little bit of oil til soft. then remove from heat and saute the meat in the same pan for a few minutes. when almost cooked, add the vegetables, gravy, soup and Worcestershire sauce. cover and simmer about 1 1/2 hours or until tender. you can adjust the vegetables and Worcestershire sauce to your taste. this tastes almost like Chinese takeout and is really simple and quick. I also put mine in a crock pot. Enjoy

Use any cut steak. Cut in bite size pieces. I use 2 sirloin steaks. Brown steak. I also slow cook in my crock pot.

Now, in crock, put in bite size pieces of green peppers, onions. Add a big can of diced tomatoes. Add about 2 cans water from the tomato can. Might need more. To each his own. Then I add 3/4 of a small bottle of soy sauce. Add meat and slow cook low for 5-6 hours. Serve with rice.

It's never failed me yet.

Gee I don't make it like any of those already posted - I merely buy ROUND STEAK, bake it in the oven with some butter (just a pat) and then I boil rice and fry green peppers (cut up) Then I cut up the round steak, mix it in a bowl with rice and peppers, adding some of the juice from the steak, and salt and pepper to taste and that's it! My family LOVES it.

You might want to bookmark sites like allrecipes.com and similar, they all have search features to help you.