Perm Left Hair Straight

I permed my hair once and it has been a couple years and it hasn't gone back to the way it was. I used to have curly hair and then I put in a perm that straightened my hair. It was called One n Only. My hair goes to like 5 inches lower than my shoulders and I want my hair longer also. Now I want my natural hair back. Should I get a curly perm? And how do I get my hair to be longer.

By Abbigail C.

Best Answer

In the case of perms, perm is short for "permanent", whether it is permanent wave (curly perm) or perm as short for relaxer (permanent straightener). If you look closely at your hair after you shampoo, you will likely see 2 distinct textures; the ends will be straight or mostly straight, and the new growth will be closer to your natural texture. You may have to lift some of the hair in your hand to see the difference more easily, since length makes hair heavier and may be stretching your new growth.

That being said, you will want to do one of two things: either cut off all the hair up to the new growth (on average hair grows about 1/2 inch per month, so multiply how many months it has been since the perm times 1/2 inch to determine where new growth ends), or get a really good trim, and regular trims until all or most of the perm is gone, then less frequent trims after that to maintain your ends. Putting a curly perm on your hair will be ok for the new growth, but not for the hair that has a straight perm-those ends will become "fried", or severely damaged.

I suspect as you get rid of the permed ends you will start to see your curls more defined without additional chemicals. But whatever you choose to do, don't put a curly perm anywhere near those permed ends. A good deep conditioner will help from time to time as well. Good Luck!

Source: 10 years of cosmetology experience

In time your hair will grow longer. That being said some people's hair will only get to a certain length. Was the perm that you got one to straighten your hair or what? Your best bet would be to consult a higher end hair stylist. Do this over the phone, and if you don't think he/she sounds knowledgeable don't schedule an appointment and consult another one. If you have a beauty school in your area you would probably be better off calling them and ask to speak to one of the instructors, for an opinion.