Pet Care in Hot Weather

I just want to remind all dog owners that they should have water and shelter available to their pets outside. Even if you are just letting your pet out for a while on a nice sunny day, they need a bowl of water and a sheltered spot to get out of the sun. A shady spot is especially important for dogs with a dark coat. Even if you think it is cool enough out, the direct sun can be very harmful to a dog if he/she is exposed for some time. Lola, our brindle boxer, gets so hot in the sun! Thankfully, we have plenty of trees to give her shade.

By Carrie N from Okemos, MI

Pet Care in Hot Weather

I won't let my pups out from noon until 5 as I am afraid their feet will burn on the pavement.

During the summer, my dog walkers come around 11 instead of 1, take a short walk and then spend the rest of the my allotted time indoors with them.

Northern Virginia

By ILuvDobes

Pet Care in Hot Weather

To those of you with dogs that you have chained outside, please bring your dog inside to be part of your family, or seek a more appropriate/humane home for your dog.

Thanks for the excellent tip, Carrie. It's definitely worth providing an extra measure of care for your pets during these hot months.

By cdavis0627

Pet Care in Hot Weather

I have a way of testing whether to put my dogs in the car. I go out and sit in it with the windows rolled up all the way. If I can't stay there COMFORTABLY for at least 15 minutes, then I know it's not safe for my pets.

They NEVER go with me in the summer, or in the winter because of the heat/cold. If we go on a trip in these seasons (or any other time) I never leave them in the car while I go in to eat or anything. If I have to stop to use the restroom, I pull into a trucker's weigh scale and leave the car running with the a/c on and the doors locked. I have never been turned down to use the restroom real quick when I explain I'm traveling alone with pets. (04/27/2009)

By Cricketnc

Pet Care in Hot Weather

Did you know? Some shelters have bumper stickers in their offices that are usually free, to put on the windshield of cars with pets in them, stating that someone is calling the police to notify them of your car and pet. I always take a handful of them and leave a donation, and put them on cars I see with animals inside. I even broke a window once, where a cat was inside with NO windows open, and it was unconscious. I got the cat out and walked out along the beach until I found the owner. I wasn't very popular, but I was really angry, so the point got across. Anyway, check your local shelter and see if they have any resources like I mentioned above. I am rather passionate about animals. Good luck. (04/28/2009)

By MS.Scarlett

Pet Care in Hot Weather

What do you actually do if you see a pooch/critter inside a vehicle in visible distress? Sure, call 911; on the other hand, how long would they take to get there? Or, would that be a low on the priority list as calls go? Baltimore, Maryland (04/28/2009)

By ExtremeFrugalist

Pet Care in Hot Weather

Thanks, Christy! I feel the same about dogs being chained. I live next door to one that whines, wants to be with it's people. So sad. In Washington state, a bill is being proposed to outlaw a dog being chained up 24 hours a day. I hope it passes and more states adopt a similar code. If people don't want a loving companion, really a member of the family, they shouldn't get a dog. (04/29/2009)

By ginnee

A dog drinking water on a hot day.
Keeping Your Dog Safe in Hot Weather
Pink rose with bumble bee.
Growing Roses in Hot Weather
Hot Weather Cooking
Hot Weather Cooking Tips
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub