Pet Chickens Information and Photos

Category Birds
Pet chicken in the backyard.
Keeping chickens as pets has become more popular as many urban households have begun to raise backyard chickens as pets and for the eggs. This is a guide about pet chickens information and photos.

Apple cider vinegar is loaded with vitamins and minerals. So it's perfect for adding to your chicken's water in moderation. Plus, because of the acidity in it, it helps in preventing algae from growing in your water. But you will want to buy the organic unfiltered kind, because when it's nonorganic it means that it has been pasturized, completely killing all the nutrients. You will want to add 1 TBS per 1 gallon. Note: Do not use in metal water containers.

Source: Backyard Chickens.com

If you have chickens, when you get done pulling weeds, toss them in their chicken coop. Chickens are especially fond of dandelions.

I always decorate our rooster Phoenix's pen with swim noodles. I usually build colorful arches by securing each end of the swimming noodle over two branches I push into the ground. Well, I had an extra one so I just laid that one in his pen by the opening to the crawl space where he goes at night. There are old recliners in there, and other places to sit on.

I saw that when the ground is hard and colder he enjoys sitting on these. I am sharing a picture of our Phoenix on his swim noodle. He will stay there for hours watching everything and pecking the dirt and doing his bowing trick he loves to do when he sees anyone walk by. :)

This is a guide about salmonella concerns with backyard chickens. Salmonella is not just an issue with commercially raised chickens.

Two chickens in the backyard garden.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
Not known

Your Pet's Breed
Rescue Chickens

How and when did you get your pet?
My daughter bought the chickens for us from a rescue centre a few weeks ago.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
These ladies are only just starting to learn how to have fun after being kept in tiny cages. They like to hide under bushes and come out to eat grass and scratch around in the autumn leaves.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
The photos of Amber and Pearl were taken when they had just arrived. Amber has a very crooked beak with the tip missing. Pearl had only half her feathers. Neither of them knew the difference between day and night. They are a lot brighter, happier, and healthier now and not quite so scared of us. Pearl has most of her feathers back.

Comment Like this photo? 4

Peanut, P. Nut or Mr. P. Nut is about a 9 month old red and white male cat. He was just a baby when I saw him at the shelter and he stuck his paw out at me. He had the screaming "Me-mes". He would not stop hollering and howling. I reached into the cage to hold him and he grabbed onto me for dear life. I calmed him down and told him to behave.

I headed home, but turned around before I got home and went back to adopt him. Right now, he is a big hug, fat, stinker winker lol.

He is at his juvenile age and I am about to have him neutered. As a young kitten, he treated everyone to a loud and angry display of love. It is love, you just have to know him. He acts like a lion, but has the heart of a lamb.

When you picked him up as a baby he would try to run and hide. He didn't know what love was. That has all changed now. Mr. Peanut still has a disgusted expression on his face even when he gets treats, loved on, and hugged.

In this photo he is on the TV, looking at Phoenix the rooster, or else Perry the parakeet.

I watch them like hawks, but I will tell you his disgusted face has delighted me on so many occasions. He comes up to me at night or in the morning and has that mean disgusted angry look, and then rubs his big face on my arm and asks for hugs and love. He is a hoot!

By Robyn F. from Tri-Cities, TN

Comment Like this photo? 8

Your Pet's Age
5

Your Pet's Breed
Red Star Hen

How and when did you get your pet?
From a friend

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Being held

Granddaughter Becca and Louise. This was taken a few weeks before we lost Louise. Louise loved being carried around.

Comment Like this photo? 10

Our chickens live in our front yard. They like to be by the front gate so they can meet and greet everyone. Their yard is around a giant oak tree. We feed not only the chickens there but the squirrels, birds, and, sad to say, a rat or two that we haven't caught yet.

There are five hens and one big red rooster. There used to be four red roosters as evidenced by the bare spots on the girl's backs. Now the girls are spoiled rotten, and one man in the house makes them happy cluckers.

By fuzzytufts from Folkston, GA

Six chickens in a yard behind a chain link fence.

Comment Like this photo? 7

Photo Description
Early summer 2016. I had just planted my curly kale seedlings and one cheeky nosy chicken hops over to investigate. Looking forward to growing more in 2017.

Photo Location
Wirral, UK

Comment Like this photo? 3

Snickers is a 3 year old Japanese Silkie Chicken. I used to raise them until 2 years ago, when I had to move to the city. He loves to cuddle on my lap especially while I am crocheting.

white silky chicken

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Our chicken and her newly hatched chicks found their way into our garden and started to look for some food.

photo of baby chicks

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Chickie is a 3 month old Ameraucana/EE Chicken. My niece received her for Easter.

Chicken laying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

My daughter's "pets" are not typical. She has a dog, but she also has a Shamo chick that was the runt and needed to be raised in her room for proper care. Then there's the one-footed rooster (look closely) who lost his foot in a mishap and even wore a miniature Converse shoe from a key chain for awhile!

Some Unusual Pets (Chick and Rooster)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

My daughter hatched these chicks out for her 1st and 2nd grade classroom this month. It was an amazing opportunity for us all to see!

Newly Hatched Chicks - black and yellow baby chicks

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

One hen in the flock was curious about the camera!

Hen eyeing the photographer.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

This is one of my favourite pictures. Our granddaughter Morgan just loved our chickens, as this picture shows! She lives in a big city, so for her, this acreage and rural living was quite different.

girl with chicken

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

These are Tractor Supply babies. There are 3 black and white chicks and 3 yellow chicks. Two of them have homes to go to when they are older. The rest are staying with us.

Phoenix and His Chicks

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes