Pet Safe Remedy for Ants

What can I use to get rid of ants that won't harm my kitty? The ants are near my kitchen sink, but nowhere else. My kitty likes to "chase" them, but I don't want him to lick anything toxic. Thanks!

By Vicki from Springfield, MO

Answers:

Pet Safe Remedy for Ants

Try placing ant traps under your sink. They will draw the ants to them and keeping the trap under the sink, (thinking you have doors/cabinet) will keep your kitty safe. (05/26/2010)

By Amy3e

Pet Safe Remedy for Ants

Grits or cornmeal. It won't hurt your cat, but it'll get rid of the ants. They carry the pieces back to their "nest". The pieces expand inside them and kill them. This takes a little while so be patient. You'll slowly see them disappear. (05/28/2010)

By Artlady

Pet Safe Remedy for Ants

I've been using Sweet n Low to kill ants. I got the idea from this site.

Just sprinkle the stuff near the ants and they'll bring it back to the next and die.

BUT I don't know if Sweet n Low is unhealthy for cats if they eat it. Why don't you ask your vet first? (05/28/2010)

By metroplex

Pet Safe Remedy for Ants

Sprinkle ground cinnamon where the ants like to hang out. (05/29/2010)

By schoolmarm

Pet Safe Remedy for Ants

The remedy to this one is easy, cheap and effective! Baking Soda! Sprinkle it (the more the better) over and around the areas where you are finding the ants.

I recently eliminated, gosh, it had to have been thousands of ants which had taken up residency in a shrub. They had constructed a huge mound which was beginning to choke the shrub. Out came the Arm and Hammer and by the next morning, I found not one single ant. Of course, the white baking soda all over my front yard wasn't so cool, but it quickly and easily blows or rinses away.

Since it's totally safe for animals, even if they did snoop around in it, they wouldn't find the taste of the soda to be all that yummy. And the evidence of their snooping would be very obvious. ;)

Talcum powder and flour can also be used. I have never tried the powder for fear it might harm my dogs and I just don't like breathing it in. Initially, I started out using flour, but when it rained the next day, I had one heck of a mess to clean up. Yuck!

Anyway, once again, baking soda saves the day! (06/13/2010)

By steel_city_brat

Pet Safe Remedy for Ants

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions! It only took a little baking soda for a day or two and they are gone! Thanks again! (06/14/2010)

By vickster

Natural Remedy for Ants
Black Ant on Leaf
Controlling Ants in the Vegetable Garden
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄