Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Pet Urine Smell After Using a Carpet Cleaning Machine

This guide is about pet urine smell after using a carpet cleaning machine. Removing dog or cat pee odors from carpets can be a challenge.

February 22, 2007 Flag

I've cleaned my carpets beautifully with a machine and now I've got strong pet urine smell all over my living room. Help.

Kimberly from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If this a rental it means that there was at sometime an animal using the carpet as their toilet, when cleaning the enzymes are activated again. The only thing that really works is an enzyme cleaner that kills all the ickies, deep down, sometimes the urine goes to the subfloor and then that is really a problem. When we moved into our condo the owner had the floors cleaned and I could smell where a dog had used the carpets for months! I am so freaked out about having them cleaned again! But someone at my church runs a carpet cleaning business and has promised me that he won't let the smell come back. Maybe you want to contact a good reputable carpet cleaning place and ask them what to do, you might be able to find some good industrial strength stuff at Lowes or Home Depot (even the pet stores).

Good luck!

Best Answer

This may not be a preferred method but it is tried and proven to be true. Spray the area with a mixture of white vinegar and water and let dry then follow up with sprinkling baking soda over the area. Let that set for awhile then vacuum up. The smell will be gone for good. I tried it myself and it really works.

Best Answer

The best thing to get urine smell out is Oxiclean. My cat peed on me in the car when he had a urinary infection and I could not get the smell out to save my life. The Oxiclean worked, I never smelled it again. That stuff is awesome!

Best Answer

Hi there I am new to this site but I already loving all the helpful tips I am seeing on here.

So I have battlted with this same problem a countless number of times. I just recently learned that most importantly the newer carpet cleaners have a built in heat function and/or if it doesn't. If you are like me I always used the hottest water possible. The heat from the carpet cleaner actually embeds the urine smell and stain into the carpet, thus making it worse.

Also never use vinegar or anything with ammonia. This will only make it worse. Only a select number of carpets out there do require these ingredients to work. Anyway, that is my two cents, once I began treating the spot with peroxide & water and using a special shampoo found at Petco, turning off the heat function on my cleaner it was like brand new in about 6 months!

It's probably the ammonia in the cleaner. Maybe you should rinse the carpet again.

This actually really does work! I tried this and let the baking soda sit for one day then vacuum!

What kind of smell is it? Maybe vinegar and a little bleach might help.

I don't understand why everyone is suggesting you BLEACH your carpet. You all do understand that unless the carpet is white, you are BLEACHING a big hello/white patch into your carpet???

Dog laying on beige carpet next to a vacuum
Cleaning Urine Odors from Carpet
Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJune 27, 2016
woman holding her nose
Getting Rid of Urine Odors
A chihuahua on a white carpet.
Cleaning Dog Urine Odors from Carpet
Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
Cleaning Your Carpet Without a Machine
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 16, 2017 at 12:15:05 AM on 10.0.0.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.