Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Can anyone help me with cat urine stains and smell on hardwood floors? I plan on refinishing them so anything will help.

Ginny from Quincy, MA

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

I tried the hydrogen peroxide and covered it with clear plastic wrap to hold the moisture in longer and when I woke up the next morning (approx. 9hrs later), almost all the dark black was gone. Now the stain is a faint green hue. Repeating to see if the rest will come out. (07/02/2006)

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Try the urine remover here -

It will remove any staining and kill the odor (07/13/2006)

By ben123

Using bleach/water solution to damp mop old hardwood floor

Can't you use a bleach/water solution to clean/sterilize old hardwood floors, before going over them with a dust mop and liquid gold? (07/14/2006)

By Kia

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

We are getting ready to sell our condo, which has the "pre-finished" (meaning not enough varnish to matter) oak floors and we had a couple pet urine stains and a couple places where someone put a damp mop and left it (our son did it-not me!!). I tried just bleach and it helped some, but dark stains along the cracks still showed, so I tried one further step: I poured some hydrogen peroxide on the stain and let it sit for a couple minutes, then I poured full strength bleach over it, combining the two liquids. It REALLY foams! Be careful and don't wear good clothes, or they might get bleached! I left the foamy stuff on for about 5-10 minutes, then took my string mop and mopped most of it off, leaving it slightly damp. It looked better right away, but by the next morning (I did it in the evening), the stains were gone. I don't know if the combination is doing the job, or just one or the other worked, but I'm not complaining. A long time ago, I bought a commercial wood bleaching kit, and it was a solution of lye, which you sprayed on the wood to soften it, and then some strong peroxide, which caused MAJOR foaming, and did the bleaching. I thought that maybe this might work too, being two strong oxidizing solutions. (07/17/2006)

By Susan H

Editor's Note: Mixing bleach and hydrogen peroxide will make toxic chlorine gas and could cause injuries. Please use caution and do research before mixing different cleaners.

A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors