Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

How can I get pet urine stains up from a hardwood floor?

Betty Lou from Arkansas

Answers:

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

I've been trying soaking rags in the hydrogen peroxide and leaving them on the stains. They don't smell very good, but when I change them they do have brownish stains on them. I'm hoping that's the urine coming out of the wood. I only see slight improvement after doing this for several days and am wondering how long this process should take and when I should just give up and call in the pros. How much of an improvement is it realistic for me to hope for? These stains are a couple of weeks old (that's how long we've had our puppy) but in some areas they are pretty dark. Thanks everybody! (08/25/2007)

By Laura

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Follow-up to my earlier post; my floors are looking MUCH better! The spots are still visible but nowhere near as bad as before. There are no more black spots, they're just a bit darker than the rest of the wood. I'm hoping that with more soaking they'll lighten up even more. At least if I re-do the floors some day they should turn out okay. So if you're trying the hydrogen peroxide, don't give up too soon. Good luck! (08/31/2007)

By Laura

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

I have a large blackened area that I started using peroxide on yesterday. After about 36 hours, I can see a noticeable improvement. I have been using rags soaked in peroxide, covered by plastic wrap, and have used weights to hold them in place. (10/01/2007)

By jan632

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Check out this link for great information on how to bleach stains on wood floors. http://www.oldhouseweb.com/stories/Detailed/214.shtml
We found the solution here to a problem area on an oak floor with a very large blackened area due to an older dogs incontinence.(b)(/b)
We did have to try most of the suggested treatments, til we found the one that worked for us. We did not want to stain the oak after sanding, just seal it with clear sealer. The treatment lifted the stain after multiple applications, and it looks beautiful.

We found the Oxalic Acid mixture worked the best. (10/14/2007)

By Peke Mamma

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

We just moved into an old house and the guy before us had a few indoor dogs and cats. When we pulled up the old nasty carpet, we found old nasty, worn out wood floors. He lived there for 12 years and just about every corner and surface of floor next to a wall is just saturated and stained from all those years of the animals peeing on the carpet and it soaking into the wood! Are these floors salvageable? Will peroxide work? It's almost the entire house that's affected. Any suggestions?

Editor's Note: If you are going to re carpet, get some shellac like Bin or Kilz and paint the floors where it is discolored. It will seal in the smells. If you are trying to use the floors, you could try peroxide and see if it works to bring the floors somewhere back to the normal color. (10/31/2007)

By kelly

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Peroxide may do more damage than good for your floor and may actually bleach the area. I suggest that you use ammonia to strip the area and then follow up with Murphy's oil soap. If the smell is still there, then put a dish of vinegar in the room and this should absorb the smell in the room. (11/19/2007)

By cantmissamy

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

I am so glad I found this website. I went out today and bought some peroxide and a spray bottle. I took up my carpets two days ago and found several pet stains left from the previous owners dog as well as my own, peeing on the same spot. The peroxide is doing the trick. Instead of covering it with a rag and plastic, I decided to cover it with Baking Soda. The baking soda does two things, it absorbs the moisture and stain and also gets rid of the odor. I have repeated this method about 4 times, first I spray the spot with peroxide and let it sit for about ten minutes, then cover the dampened area with a layer of baking soda. I wait another ten minutes then go back and gently scrape up the now almost solid baking soda. (09/07/2008)

By Melissa

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

Thanks for all the feedback that everyone has posted. Will try out the ideas here very soon.
(10/09/2008)

By Kelly

Pet Urine Stains On Hardwood Floors

There is no way to get the stains out. Sand your floors and stain it to a dark stain, and no one will be able to tell. Remember, a DARK STAIN. I re-do homes and that always works for me and looks really great. Good luck. (10/10/2008)

By drew

A dog laying on a hardwood floor.
Removing Pet Urine Stains from Hardwood Floors
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
🎉
🎄