Pet Urine Stains on Subflooring

My dog ally has created an indoor potty for herself on the carpet. A friend has just pulled up the carpet for me. Now on the wood subflooring there are urine stains. What can I do to get the smell out of that wood? He suggested cleaning it with Febreze. Well, that isn't a cleaner. Then he said he could put more subflooring on top and then tile over it. Ii still think the smell would come through. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sandy from Baltimore

Feedback:

Kilz Primer

In my experience, the best bet is to clean it as well as possible. Let it try completely. Then apply a sealing primer like Kilz and seal the odor in. The primer smells pretty bad, but once that odor wears off, the pet odors should be trapped. This fix prevents you from having to replace the subflooring.

By Fisher

Bleach It

Bleach the hardwood floor. Use 1 part bleach to 1 part water. (05/08/2007)

By Superfed

Sand or Replace

I would suggest trying to sand it first, but make sure you are in a well ventilated area due to the dust and the urine getting into the air. Otherwise,you will need to take up the subfloor. I would "not" put subfloor on top of urine soaked subfloor, that would make it worse for you. In the summer with the heat what a smell that would bring out and why ruin more lumber? Just sand it out, if that doesn't work then replace the subfloor. Also, I would start crating the dog when I was "not" around. Good luck.

By grammaoftwo

Nature's Miracle

It's not a very cheap solution, but it does work, Nature's Miracle. Saturate where the dog used the floor, it should take care of the odors. You might have to repeat it several times; however, it is cheaper than new flooring.

By Melissa

Kids N Pets

There is a very simple product called "Kids N Pets" I bought it at WalMart. It works beautifully. Just pour some on the area let it soak in and then blot. I have done this on my carpet for doggy diarrhea and for cat urine on a couch pillow. It is all gone. I love this product.

By caraing

Baking Soda and Vinegar

I have 7 cats and when they have an accident, I put baking soda on the spot, wait 5 minutes and scrub. Then I pour white vinegar on it and scrub. You may have to do it a couple of times, because you don't want it to buckle the flooring, but from experience this does the trick.

By eyelovecats

Kilz Primer and Polyurethane

I have flipped many houses with the pet urine problem. Simple steps: Spray 1 to 1 bleach/water mix over any problem area. Then paint 2 coats Kilz over area. Next is the most important step that no one seems to do, spread 2 coats of polyurethane over the area to seal smell for good. Polyurethane is the protective coat that goes over finished wood floors so nothing penetrates and damages the wood. Lets nothing in or out. Final step is of course carpet or tile.

By Alex