Pickled Ginger Recipes

Category Condiments
Pickled Ginger
A yummy condiment that is often eaten between sushi dishes. This page contains pickled ginger recipes.

I love pickled ginger! I know you can buy it in a jar, but it's so easy to make yourself and then you're assured there are no preservatives. If you don't use a lot of pickled ginger in any given month, simply reduce the recipe. ;-)

Directions:

Peel the ginger with a vegetable peeler, then use the peeler to cut ginger into thin slices about an inch or two long. Cook for one minute in boiling water and drain well.

Combine the sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan; bring it to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar; and let it cool. Place the ginger into a sterilized jar and pour the vinegar and sugar mixture over it.

Cover and refrigerate for one week before using. The pickled ginger will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to one month.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

How would you use pickled ginger in a meal? And could you freeze it? Thank you.

Deeli, I have the same question as Mkymlp.

Yum! I love pickled ginger too. Use it as a side or condiment, to a sandwich, like a pickle or olive. I like to have this around when I make sushi. It's great dipped in the soy sauce also! You could also use in an Asian salad!

Anonymous

Hi Laniegirl and mkymlp,

Besides what linnie b has suggested you can also use it to garnish fish (and even use in a tuna sandwich), poultry or pork that has been marinated with teriyaki sauce or topped with a sauce like apricot sauce, actually, just about any Asian dish.

Besides it's wonderful flavor, it's used as a palate cleanser before, during or after eating and best of all ginger is a natural tummy upset remedy that has been used for thousands of years. :-)