Pie Crust Recipes

Category Pie Crust
Pie Crust Recipes
The perfect pie crust is always the goal of a baker. This page contains pie crust recipes.

This recipe is one that can be used for sweet or savory. It is very light. Hope you like it.

Directions

Grate the half frozen butter into the flour. Using a knife, blend in but do not use hands to do this as when the pastry is cooked, it will not have the same light texture. Use enough cold water to form a soft dough. Wrap and put into the fridge and let rest for at least 1/2 hour, then use as required.

Hope you find this as good as I do

Servings: 6

Source: Delia Smith cookbook

By Helen from Manchester, United Kingdom

This is a non-fail easy recipe for anyone who has trouble making their own pie dough.

Total Time: 10 minutes plus 30 minutes in the refrigerator

Yield: 1 10 in. double pie shell

Source: I found this on "Mad Hungry" with Lucinda Scala Quinn

• 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour*
  • 1/2 tsp salt

*Plus 2 Tbsp flour and more for rolling.

Lucinda says she doesn't know why you need the extra 2 T. of flour, but that was the way she learned the recipe, so she always adds it.

1. Process the butter, cream cheese, and cream in a food processor, electric mixer, or by hand to thoroughly combine.
  2. Advertisement
  3. Add the flour and salt. Process just until combined and the dough holds together in a ball. Turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface. Divide into 2 pieces and wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before rolling out. If the dough is chilled overnight, take it out 15 minutes before rolling out.
  4. Rub flour all over a rolling pin. Working with one dough disk at a time, place the disk on a clean, well-floured surface. Applying some pressure with the rolling pin, roll gently from the center of the dough to the top and bottom edges. Rotate the disk and roll to the top and bottom edges again. Reflour the work surface and rolling pin, turn the dough over, and continue to roll the dough from the center out to the edges. Turn over and roll again, rotating the disk to ensure even rolling until the dough is thin, but not transparent.
  5. Advertisement
  6. You can use this to line a 9 or 10 inch pie pan or cut in smaller circles and make hand pies.
  7. Fill with your favorite filling and bake according to the directions for your filling.

This is a guide about never fail pie crust recipes. Many cooks prefer to make their own pie crust rather than purchase ready-made ones.

Never Fail Pie Crust

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

With the right recipe anyone can make their own delicious pie crust. This page contains a basic pie dough recipe.

Basic Pie Dough

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups sifted cake or all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 Tbsp. cold milk

Directions

Sift dry ingredients into a 9 or 10 inch pie pan. Combine oil and milk. Pour all at once over flour mixture. Blend with fork until flour is dampened. Using the fingers, press to line bottom and sides of pan, making sure that dough is even.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1/3 cup boiling water
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. milk
  • 2 cups flour

Directions

Put shortening in a bowl and add hot water. Stir. Add milk and salt. Stir in flour. Divide in half and roll out each half to fit a pie pan.

Bake according to direction for pie.

Yield: 1 double crust

NOTE: Divide in half for a single crust pie.

By Dorothy Bayes from Sardis, OH

Whip up a delicious pie crust for your next pie or quiche using buttermilk. This page contains buttermilk pie crust recipe.

Using a mixer to make pie crust.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about sweet pie dough. This sweet dough is perfect for your dessert recipes.

Rolling dough.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

In making pie crust, the less it is handled the flakier it will be; kneading or handling it makes it tough. Just work it up with your hands until all the flour is worked into dough after adding liquid.

Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly. Cover and store in a cool place.

I could really use a recipe for pie crusts that really shines at holiday time. The recipe I have is inadequate and the crust comes out as if for a bland diet. I would appreciate lots of contributed recipes in answer to this. Thanks!

By Jazzmin Flower from Alta Loma, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Here is a link to pie crust recipes at allrecipes.com. You can sort them by rating, if you'd like, and you can read the reviews. I find the reviews to be very helpful in deciding if I want to try a recipe, and also to see how others have modified the recipes.

http://allrecip  Term=pie%20crust

allrecipes is pretty good. Thanks for the reminder!

I found it, thanks! This looks very promising of great yield for the holidays.

I have tried all those 'easy' pie crust recipes. For the Marie Calendar recipe I followed it EXACTLY. The dough was refrigerated, warmed to room temp, pinch test was OK. The dough was too sticky, I added a little flour, then the dough falls apart. Any ideas?

Joseph from Orange County, Ca

Pastry should always be kept as cool as possible, so use iced water (and cold hands!) and try and roll it out as quickly as possible. Make into whatever shape you need then put back in fridge to relax before cooking.

Cool and quick is the motto for pastry but there are very experienced cooks who can't manage to make good pastry, it really is an art - so you are not alone.

Best of luck :-)

Here is the one I use. I got it from my sister in law. I can sell these pies anytime, because the crusts are so flaky and tender. The thing to remember is that the dough might need a touch more water, but it should never be sticky. Also, do you put flour on the rolling surface before you roll out pies?

Never Fail Piecrust

4 cups flour

2 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon sugar

1 3/4 cups shortening or lard

1/2 cup water

1 egg yolk

1 tablespoon vinegar

Put dry ingredients in a big bowl. Add wet ingredients. Mash together. Knead for a minute or so to mix it up good. Divide it into six or seven equal portions and roll them into balls. Roll out the ones you need right away and freeze the rest. Let me know how you do with this.

P.S. I will be in Anaheim sometime in May, so if you need a coach, let me know.

Here is a pie crust recipe I saw demonstrated on the Oprah Show. It is sooo easy and really good! I have had a LOT of compliments on my pies. This recipe is for a 2 crust pie.

Crust:

2-2/3 cups flour

1 scant tsp. salt

2/3 cup vegetable oil

6 TBS. cold milk

To make crust, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix flour and salt. Measure oil and milk together in a separate small bowl...do NOT stir. Add to flour. Mix well with a large metal spoon. Roll out crust between 2 pieces of waxed paper. Do NOT refrigerate before rolling crust out. CAREFULLY lift away waxed paper as this crust might tear easily!

Good luck!!

Buy tenderflake lard and follow the recipe on the pagadge, never fails

barb

Honey, no matter how much I tried, my pie crust never look great, so I just brought the store made brand like pillsbury, and they turn out just fine.

Does anyone have a really nice recipe for Christmas Mince Pies? What I'm actually looking for is a nice pastry recipe for the mince pies. Not sure if they should be made with short pastry or flaky or puff pastry.

Carolyn from South Africa

I use my regular pie crust recipe and my husband thinks he's died and gone to heaven!! Nobody would make them for him before I came along (except his now deceased mother) so he thinks I'm doing him the biggest favor and it's sooo easy! Doesn't hurt to make a few extra points!

The VERY best pie crust recipe I have ever used is:

This is for a two crust pie:

2 2/3 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

2/3 cup vegetable oil

6 Tbs. cold milk

Stir the flour and salt together. Measure the oil and milk together but DO NOT mix!! Pour into the flour mixture. Stir all together with a large spoon. Divide into two parts and shape into two balls. Roll out each ball between waxed paper sheets. Before removong the waxed paper, place into pie pan, then SLOWLY peel off waxed paper. This can be halved for a one crust pie. Very good and flaky!

Thank you very much Anette and Glen's Mom. I will try them today.

How can I get a small pie crust?

By Milton