Pillow Top Mattress Not Soft Enough

A row of mattresses in a store.
The term pillow top can be misleading. Even this mattress configuration may not provide the softness you desire. Additional toppers may be needed. This is a guide about pillow top mattress not soft enough.

I just bought a brand new mattress with a thick box pillow top. It's soft, but doesn't have that pillowy, sinky feeling like a featherbed.

I was thinking about getting a feather bed too to put on top. Would this be pointless with the pillow top or would it get that fluffy feel? Or do I just need to give the bed time to break in? Thanks.

By Melanie from Orlando, FL

Best Answer

Pillow top mattresses don't feel particularly soft, as they're made of a rather dense foam. There's nothing wrong with putting a feather bed on top, if you need that sort of softness. I have fibromyalgia, and even though I was fortunate enough to inherit a TempurPedic bed, it doesn't have the ultra-softness I need. So I have one of those soft, "egg crate" bed toppers, which alleviates my pain.

The only rule of bedding is use whatever makes you comfy! :-D

Best Answer

We have a pillow top and after 1 1/2 yrs. the area where we sleep is all sunken down and the middle of the bed is still like new - hence a hump in the middle of the bed. We also have put a foam mattress topper on it as it was not soft enough. Will not buy a pillow top again.

Best Answer

My daughter and her hubby bought a pillow top several years ago and hate it. Both of them have had back problems ever since they started sleeping on that bed.