Pitting Cherries

If you don't have a cherry pitter when the cherries are ripe, it helps to a easy way to pit them. This guide is about pitting cherries.

Pitting Cherries With Cherry Pitter
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 14, 2016 Flag

You don't have to buy a cherry pitter. You can make your own if you have a soda or water bottle and a straw. Put the cherry on top of the bottle opening, and push the straw through. The pit will come out and land on the bottom of the bottle.

Source: Shared on Facebook

Homemade Cherry PitterHomemade Cherry PitterHomemade Cherry Pitter

August 25, 2009 Flag

I have to give my daughter Sabrina credit for this one. We were discussing pits in cherries last week, and she told me what she had discovered. If you save a firm, wider straw from one of the many fast food places, they are perfect for pitting cherries! She said the width is perfect and the firmer ones don't cave.

I have not tried it yet, but she and her friends swear by it.

Something so simple can save so much work. It just amazes me.

Source: My daughter told me about this one.

By Poor But Proud from Salem, OR

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 7, 2010 Flag

What is the best/easiest way to remove the pits from fresh cherries if you do not have a cherry pitting machine? Cherries are supposed to be really good for arthritis and I would like to get them now and freeze them for smoothies.

By Barbara from Middletown, DE

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know anything about pitting cherries, but would like to point out that not all cherries are equal. The active anti-inflammatory compound, anthocyanins, is most prevalent in tart cherries.

No need to invest in an automated pitting machine, but if you plan on pitting a lot of cherries, why not buy a manual handheld pitter? You can find them for as little as $7.

You can find plenty of inexpensive cherry pitters on ebay and Amazon. Here's another $7 model. Some of the < $20 models even do several cherries at a time, or have automatic feeding. A bonus is that they have a tray to collect the juice so that it doesn't get wasted.

I like to use a vegetable peeler. Just insert the cupped end into the stem end of the cherry and pull the pit out. Be sure to hold the cherries over the receiving container so as to retain all the juice.

Read More Answers...
    Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJuly 10, 2012
    Cordial Cherry
    Recipes Using Cordial Cherries
    Pile of red cherries.
    Storing Cherries
    glass plate with chocolate dipped cherries
    Making Chocolate Covered Cherries
    Frozen cherries.
    Freezing Cherries
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:26:49 AM on 10.0.1.132 in 704 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.