Pitting Cherries

Category Helpful Hints
If you don't have a cherry pitter when the cherries are ripe, it helps to a easy way to pit them. This guide is about pitting cherries.

You don't have to buy a cherry pitter. You can make your own if you have a soda or water bottle and a straw. Put the cherry on top of the bottle opening, and push the straw through. The pit will come out and land on the bottom of the bottle.

Source: Shared on Facebook

excellent

I have to give my daughter Sabrina credit for this one. We were discussing pits in cherries last week, and she told me what she had discovered. If you save a firm, wider straw from one of the many fast food places, they are perfect for pitting cherries! She said the width is perfect and the firmer ones don't cave.

I have not tried it yet, but she and her friends swear by it.

Something so simple can save so much work. It just amazes me.

Source: My daughter told me about this one.

By Poor But Proud from Salem, OR

I found a pix of what my pitter looks like! Hope it helps when you are searching for one.

What is the best/easiest way to remove the pits from fresh cherries if you do not have a cherry pitting machine? Cherries are supposed to be really good for arthritis and I would like to get them now and freeze them for smoothies.

By Barbara from Middletown, DE

My husband makes home made wine. Last summer we pitted 15 pounds of cherries for it without a cherry pitter. We used a ball point pen with the ink refill removed. The pen shell was sterilized in alcohol. Place the pen point end in the stem area of the cherry and push the pit out. Worked for us.

Years ago a friend showed me how to easily pit a cherry using a hair pin! Not a (tight) bobby pin but the open U shaped ones. Go through the top of the cherry and just scoop it out. :)

All great Ideas ! You can use a straw or put a long nail in a board turn it over, clean it and push the cherries on it. I use the hairpin method and Hubby used the nail!

I don't know anything about pitting cherries, but would like to point out that not all cherries are equal. The active anti-inflammatory compound, anthocyanins, is most prevalent in tart cherries.

No need to invest in an automated pitting machine, but if you plan on pitting a lot of cherries, why not buy a manual handheld pitter? You can find them for as little as $7.

You can find plenty of inexpensive cherry pitters on ebay and Amazon. Here's another $7 model. Some of the < $20 models even do several cherries at a time, or have automatic feeding. A bonus is that they have a tray to collect the juice so that it doesn't get wasted.

I like to use a vegetable peeler. Just insert the cupped end into the stem end of the cherry and pull the pit out. Be sure to hold the cherries over the receiving container so as to retain all the juice.