Place Dishes Directly Into Soapy Water While Cooking

When I begin cooking or baking, I first fill one side of sink with hot water and dish soap. As I use a utensil or container, I put them in. When project is complete, they should be soaked and all I have to do is rinse them.

By Ruth from Harlingen, TX

Answers:

I think that is brilliant! I am redoing my kitchen as I type (HELP ME!) and had my dishwasher removed today. I am using a smaller kitchen I have in the back of the house until my kitchen is complete, no dishwasher! I will load up my sink with hot soapy water the very next meal I prepare. Thanks for sharing!(05/11/2007)

By Mitzi

I do this all the time. It is very helpful.(05/31/2007)

By missymagoo

I keep fresh dish soap/water in one of my sinks, PLUS 1/4th cup of bleach, for such as you describe, until my 3:00pm radio program. Then all is ready to load in the dishwasher and sanitized ahead of the old washer, once the previous day's load is put away.

This has been my practice for many years now. It really works and keeps me from dreading the dish
work. It also keeps the kitchen air smelling fresher after cooking, the small amount of bleach added supposedly killing cooking odors? Then, if the water doesn't appear to be too dirty or greasy, I pour it into a quart bottle, add a little Lestoil and use it to mop the floors, re-heating in the microwave. When the coming water crisis hits soon, I will carry the dishpan water out to the roses and apple tree.

I also add 1/3 cup of bleach to my rain barrel to keep water sweet and fresh, discouraging mosquitoes from entering ( an mold/algae from growing) while I dip into it to water the garden, and to keep it fresher for storing in gallon and 1/2 gallon containers in the SECOND barrel with a lid on all and the barrels. This seems to be a blessing for us, and could even be used for bathing in an emergency in the clean kiddy pool that I keep leaning against the patio wall, and for washing clothes along with the water stored in our old laundry bottles of detergent residue. I try to stay prepared because I've been caught unaware a few times in the past, unable to pay bills on time, or when electricity went out, or water got turned off to do repairs.

(06/15/2007)

By Lynda

Rain Drops on Leaf
Rain Garden Basics
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
ground coffee
Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
🎉
🎄