Place Line Dried Clothes In The Dryer To Soften Up

Hanging your wash outside saves big bucks, but can also leave your clothes stiff. I started putting my clothes in the dryer for about 5 minutes to let them soften up. A couple of times, I've forgotten and left it in there the entire cycle. This defeats the whole purpose of hanging the clothes out to begin with. I started leaving a timer next to the dryer and setting it for 5 minutes. The sound of the timer reminds me about the clothes. (The dial on my dryer won't set for such a short amount of time)

By Deanna from Cedar Park, TX

Answers:

I am assuming you put them in the dryer BEFORE you hang them out? (09/26/2007)

By Elaine

I put my clothes on the spin cycle of the washer a few times. Not only will the clothes dry faster on the line, they also come out soft and not hard.

(09/26/2007)

By Ziggee

Good idea! I use liquid softener but clothing (esp. 100% cotton) is still a bit stiff. Your idea may work just as well on a no-heat cycle. For towels, to avoid that "wrinkled" look, I fluff them in the dryer on no heat for a few min. before hanging outside. They look much nicer and also not as stiff. Kudos to all us line-dryers! (09/26/2007)

By Christine

Actually it works better to put them in the dryer FIRST for 5 minutes, then hang on the line. Try it! (09/26/2007)

By kayrayriggs

One thing I've learned about those made-from-cardboard clothes. Use home made laundry detergent! I noticed that new clothes that I'd never washed in store-bought detergent don't get stiff at all. I harbor a secret suspicion that manufacturers put something in to make clothes nasty-sandpapery-stiff just so they can sell fabric softeners (just look at who owns what companies!) Clothes that I'd been washing in other detergent for a while take many washes to start softening up, but whatever they've gotten full of does wash out--eventually. Towels are the toughest, but even they come around in the end. I have found an extra rinse cycle to be beneficial with very dirty or stiff clothes, and as someone else posted, a nice windy day helps too. And I also whack the clothes hard against my leg when I take them off the line, though mostly to remove any moths or other bugs that have decided to set up camp on my laundry before they end up setting up camp in the house.

Final verdict from Mama Gina's Laundry Room: avoid store-bought detergent like the plague! (Anybody ever wonder why there are so many detergents that irritate your skin? I've heard of things like ground glass used as an abrasive. Nifty) (09/27/2007)

Mama Gina

I found many years ago that hanging clothes out in the early morning or early evening works best. Also, you MUST bring them in AS SOON AS they are dry. The first couple of loads, you'll be checking several times to catch them just as they dry. After a little practice, you'll know just how long each fabric takes. I have done this for a long time and do not have trouble with stiff clothes ( I do not use liquid softener)
(09/27/2007)

By tamak

I run my bluejeans through the dryer for a few minutes before I hang them up to dry. They don't have wrinkles or dry as stiff. (01/29/2008)

By hoptownracer1

A half cup of white vinegar in the rinse water helps to remove the detergent that has built up on the clothes. It acts as a natural fabric softener. And no, the clothes do not smell like vinegar at all. (07/01/2008)

By Jeanne

Drying Clothes Inside
Line Drying Clothes Inside
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Clothes Dryer
Removing Odors from a Clothes Dryer
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎉
🎄