Planning an Olympics Party

Category Party Themes
Olympics Party
As an Olympics fan you may be planning a party so you can watch with friends or simply commemorate the event. This is a guide about planning an Olympics party.

Debra Frick0 found this helpful

The Olympics only come around every 4 years and there are some of us who like the thrill and the majesty of the whole Olympic experience. Of course there are Sports Fans that also love all the events and love to root for the "Good Old USA". So this year, I am going to throw a party on the opening day of the Olympics. The summer Olympics this year will be held in Beijing, China so I thought this would be a great time to pull out some of my favorite Chinese recipes. The menu I chose will feed between 2-4 couples. What is great about this menu is that if I choose not to cook, I can order all the food from my local Chinese take out and it will be less work for me. An alternate menu would be to have international foods. You could easily make it a potluck by assigning each person a country, and have them bring some food from that country.

Since I have a large family room with couches I figured I would make this a buffet so that my guests can sit comfortable in front of my TV set. I plan on decorating with all the different flags from the different countries that will be at the Olympics. This was easily accomplished by going to this website, http://www.anbg.gov.au/flags/nation-flags.html and saving the flag graphics to my computer. I will then print them out on 8 1/2 by 11 inch paper and make banners to go across my room by folding over the top edge of the paper and stapling it to a piece of yarn. I am going to make 4 banners to go across to the center of my room and then I will tie balloons in the center.

My centerpiece will be the same flags printed out smaller and stapled to balloon sticks and put into a vase with white carnations. I went online and looked up the mascots of the Beijing Olympics and found that they have 5 mascots so I will use graphics of these little guys to decorate my food table. It is as simple as paper-dolls when we were kids. Glue the paper to the cardboard and cut out leaving enough cardboard on the bottom of each to fold back to make a stand. Now you can tape your stand down to the table so they will not tip over. This is where I got my graphics from: http://en.beijing2008.cn/spirit/beijing2008/graphic/n214068254.shtml

I plan on having at least one game to play so I thought that an Olympics Trivia game would be fun. I found this website that had a lot of Olympic facts that could be turned into a Olympics Trivia Game: http://www.topendsports.com/events/summer/trivia.htm

I went to the dollar store and found a black and white panda bear which I will decorate in red, white and blue for the winner's prize.

The Menu

Here are some recipes to get you started:

Chop Suey

This recipe was my grandmother's who got it from her Aunt who was a missionary in China

Ingredients

Directions

Brown the meat in a little butter and turn down the heat and add the rest of the ingredients minus the flour and soy sauce. Simmer 1-1/2 hours. Thicken with the flour and soy sauce mixed together. Serve over Fried rice and garnish with chow mien noodles.

Spring Rolls

This recipe was my best friend Cheryl Ann's, I think she got it from her sister in law but anyway they are mighty good. All the ingredients can be found at your local grocery store.

Ingredients

Directions

In small pan combine ingredients and saute until soft. Take a small spoon and fill and roll each egg roll. Fry in hot oil until browned.

Fried Rice

I buy the seasoning packet from the grocery store and follow the directions.

To decorate the dessert of almond ice cream I will either have sparklers that I stick in and light at the last second or I am going to use colored light sticks.

I hope this gives you all a great start on a party to celebrate the Olympics!

Editor's Note: The Beijing Summer Olympics will run from August 8 - 24, 2008. For more information, you can visit the official website here:

Skip summer camp and bring the Olympics to your children this Summer! Plan several sports and wacky fun for a free (or very frugal) week-long event of lasting memories. Adding your children's friends in the games would make for a bigger event but even one child can be an Olympian who competes against a stop watch for their personal best time or sets a pretend "new world record" time.

Traditional sports in your Kid Olympics could be swimming, track, and gymnastics. A mini-triathlon for your wee ones could be super fun when swimming is following a short bike ride and jog.

A swimming contest would entail having the children swim a few laps in a pool, more or less depending on their skill level. The Butterfly stroke might be a fun variation to include in your Kid Olympics! (Synchronized swimming is fun for the kids to try as well, if the kids are able.) Even consider inexpensive rope taped to the pool edges to make Olympic "lanes" for the contestants to swim in for an authentic feel- and great pictures!

Gymnastics, a personal favorite of mine, can include a "low beam" and floor exercise, and maybe a somersault contest. For toddlers, walking an indoor taped or outdoor chalk-line "beam" may be best. Indoors, a cartwheel competition while staying on a pretend balance beam made of masking tape or painters tape on carpet would make for a challenge. Include a one-minute musical acrobatic dance and judge to see who's best at staying "in the lines" of a designated taped boundary, best facial expression, most cartwheels and the like.

Discount stores have plastic gold medals for the Olympian's awards, or make gold, silver and bronze medals out of paper and ribbon for the children if there are three or more. (For two children, give gold and silver medals and so on.)

Tailor your Olympic competitions to suit your family or participants, using favorite Olympic sports of parents and kids. You may choose to make up a new contest, like blowing bubbles for the longest. Brainstorm with your children to create a Kid Olympics all your own!

By Erin813 from Seffner, FL

I am planning a 08-08-08 adult Birthday party and I am looking for fun food and games ideas. It is a backyard/cocktail party with a possible Olympic theme since they start on that day. Any ideas?

Denise from Milwaukee,WI

Maybe some simple games that could be played tournament style with medals given as prizes, such as croquet or darts. You could decorate with flags from different countries. Have fun!

Have a marching in ceremony or a torch "run" where the torch is passed from one person to another. Have a "silly" contest...like nominate a gymnast from each team and see who can do the best Cartwheel, Nominate an ice skater, put on some music and have them do an ice skating "routine", have a volleyball game and see who can volley the ball the most times, have a jav throw, high jump contest, race, etc..

- Buy some lapel pins of flags from different countries. Think about the countries your guests are from and include a bunch of good ol' American flags.

- Decorate a cake like the Olympic rings. You can bake 5 cakes or just use the store bought pound cake rings, icing in the 5 olympic colors and serve with ice cream.

- Serve a variety of international foods OR just go for the Chinese takeout to keep with the Beijing theme OR serve food with a ring theme.

- 5 hula hoops in the Olympic colors. Badminton or other simple Olympic style games.

- decorate with "Olympic" design torches

I want to host an Olympics party in the summer; what zany, funny, easy "competitions" could I have that would appeal to kids and adults of various ages? And where can I get downloads of "medals" that I could laminate put on neck ribbons? Thanks for all any help you can offer!

Casey from Plano, TX

I used to work in a nursing home and we did things like this fairly often as ways to make money for the Heart Asc. or other good causes.

One such time we took donuts, attached them to string and hung them from the ceiling. We had groups of 4 and the group that ate the whole donut first "won". Of course the trick is to NOT use your hands to help steady the donut. Anyone that was "caught" using their hands, were disqualified. This could be done as a boys against the girls, men vs. women, or same age teams.

For little ones, you could have Big Wheel races---set up a course in an empty lot and have one at a time, drive the course. The one(s) that do not knock any devices down, wins the medal. (in the nursing home, we used wheel chairs of course)

And don't foeget the water balloon toss--that's always fun, especially for the men.

A fun game we play at my family reunion is a Rolling Pin toss for the ladies. We draw a stick-like figure of a man and stick it in the groud many feet from the starting point. The idea is to toss the rolling pin and hit the "man" with it. The one that hits the man or comes closest, wins!

Don't know if this is the type of games you had in mind, but I do know they are always fun and full of laughs, too!

Sorry, I forgot to add----you may be able to go to www.freegifs.com. This site has many gifs that you can "snag". Maybe your local everything for a dollar store has something useful, too, that can be used.

I'm found a free party guide on http://www.high  ncessparty.html. I'm sure you can adapt some of the games to suit your theme.