Plastic Canvas Purse Patterns

A flexible material that can be fashioned into many useful things. This guide contains plastic canvas purse patterns.

Plastic Canvas Purse
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

November 2, 2014 Flag

I'm new to plastic canvas, and I would like to know how to make a purse out of plastic canvas.

By Pam H.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I made one without a pattern using ten count mesh - one rectangular sheet stitched with a variegated (autumn colours) yarn.

Then folded over in half and stitched up the sides (whip stitch in the same yarn).

I used a bit of scrap fabric (brown corduroy) to make a flap (whip stitched with clear nylon thread to one side of the top). (I used the edge of a dinner plate as a rounded flap pattern; cut two, sewed wrong sides together leaving a bit at the straight side for stitching closed after turning; I stitched the flap to the bag by placing the two straight edges of the bag and flap together, whip-stitched then turned the flap to the front of the bag - it looked machine stitched).

I made a 'closure' with a bit of braided yarn sewn as a loop onto the underside of the flap.

A mock-wood toggle button stitched to the front of the bag made a

great catch for the braided loop.

Finally, to make a shoulder strap, I braided some more of the left-over yarn and stitched that to the bag. I got a lot of compliments on that bag!

There are dozens of videos on YouTube, hundreds of books for sale or at the local library - all of which will teach you how to make a bag using plastic canvas. You can also buy pre-formed shapes for clutch bags - all you need is a chart and the yarn+needle, and kits for totes that teach and include everything you need. Possibilities? Endless!

March 4, 2009 Flag

Plastic Canvas PurseA purse made from plastic canvas.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• 2 plastic canvas pieces, 7x5 inches
  • 2 plastic canvas pieces, 4x5 inches
  • plastic canvas bottom, 4x7 inches
  • thread and needle
  • lace
  • ribbon
  • fabric same size as plastic canvas

Instructions:

1. First, cut plastic canvas to the dimensions above (or any size you want).
  2. Then cut fabric to that size and sew it onto plastic canvas.
  3. Sew the pieces together to form a rectangular purse then sew lace or whatever inside for a liner.
  4. Sew on ribbon or whatever for handles, then tie ribbon on straps.

By Sandy from Bluff City, TN

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Clothing Bags & PursesJanuary 28, 2013
Making Plastic Canvas Christmas Ornaments
Plastic Canvas Angel
Plastic Canvas Angel Patterns
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:49:09 AM on 10.0.1.132 in 491 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.