Plastic Canvas Tips and Tricks

Category Miscellaneous
several pieces of plastic canvas
This material is easily cut in desired shapes. Using yarn and a large needle, it can be used to create a variety of craft projects.This is a guide about plastic canvas tips and tricks.

If you get plastic canvas that smells bad, try putting it in a sink full of hot water and dish soap. Let it set for an hour, take it out and put it on a towel. This also works with plastic canvas that is not flat. Put it in the sink and, when taking it out, put it on a towel and cover with something heavy. That will make it flat useable. I buy plastic canvas at yard sales and Goodwill and have to do this sometimes to be able to use it. I get some really good deals on it because people don't think it can be used.

By Barbara from Rothbury, Michigan

I just purchased a pattern book to make a plastic canvas doll house. Now I am having difficulty purchasing the 12' x 18' stiff plastic canvas. I live in a small town in Saskatchewan, Canada. Can you offer any suggestions? Does it have to be 12 x 18? I can find the smaller sizes much easier.

By Laura Johnson

Can you glue, sew, etc., the smaller pieces to make a large piece?

Try a search for Annies Attic. If you can't find that, yes, you can add pieces to get the size you need. I have glued them together and had good results.

I buy the Impex and UltraStiff in that size over here in the UK through Amazon - have you tried the Canadian Amazon site? It's sometimes listed as vinyl weave or plastic mesh on the Amazon over here so you may need to run several searches.

My daughter lives in the US and buys it at WalMart, and a few craft supplies online shops, she's even found it at needlework sites (cross-stitch, tapestry, needlepoint).

Also, Herrschners ships from the US to Canada and has a fantastic selection, try this link:

http://www.herr  s+Sheets+NP.aspx

Do you know where I can get scissors for plastic canvas?

By Pam H.

Don't spend a lot of money on scissors for plastic canvas - I've been using the same pair of inexpensive (I think I paid £2 at the pound store for mine years ago, in the US try The Dollar General, same thing as Pound Stretcher over here:) for several years.

Every now and again I sharpen them by cutting through my scrubbie pad sheets - works a treat!

yes I bought mine at the dollar store years ago