How to Make a Pleated Paper Butterfly
These pretty folded paper butterflies are easy to make. Make several to hang individually or perhaps as a mobile. This is a guide about how to make a pleated paper butterfly.
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
It won't take you more than a few minutes to make a paper butterfly and you can make it any size you like. The result is spectacularly pretty considering how simple they are to make and would make a great addition for a craft fair stall or charity sale.
Total Time: 5 - 10 minutes
- 1 square of paper
- 1 piece of cord or ribbon for hanging
- Fold the paper in half and cut along the fold.
- Make concertina folds all along the length of one piece. Don't worry too much about accuracy as long as you have them reasonably straight.
- Fold the second piece in half lengthways.
- Turn the four corners in to the centre fold on the wrong side.
- Turn back to the right side.
- Concertina fold one side then the other.
- So now you have 2 pieces that look like this.
- Bend them both in half.
- Place one above the other to make a butterfly and tie the cord around the middle.
- Stretch out the pleats.
- Some ideas for your butterfly are to hang it around the home, on a cupboard handle, over a mirror, in your car or on your handbag. You can also use it to decorate a wrapped gift or put it in your hair.
In This Guide