Polishing Silverware

Polishing silverware was a lot easier when the butler did it. Well cared for silverware makes for a beautiful table, but removing the tarnish and keeping it gleaming can seem like a lot of work. This is a guide about polishing silverware.

July 12, 2011 Flag

In a small pot (the pot's size depends on what you're cleaning), place water to where it will cover the item being cleaned. Add 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt, and a capful of white vinegar. Then place the silver (silverware, etc.) on top a piece of aluminum foil with the shiny side down in pot, submerge it, then bring pot to a boil. Turn the silver or whatever it is on the other side, and you should see beautiful shiny silver on the side that was submerged. Don't ask me how it works but it really does.

By Ms_Thrifty from Houston, TX

Top Comment

Do not use this on silver plated items, it will remove the silver plating. This is only safe for sterling silver. I worked in a store selling silver & we learned the hard way that this will damage silver plated items.

March 24, 2006 Flag

Here's a recipe for cleaning silverware.

Soak 1 hour. Then wash.

By Robin from Washington, IA

does this work on every day silverware too? My teaspoons have coffee stains..

Thanks,betty

i really want to try this but in the reciepe is that baking soda or soda pop?

Betty

Editor's Note: Baking Soda

I have very large pieces of antique silverware which are badly tarnished. Please advise if I need to add hot water? I also have a huge bucket ( a champagne bucket /water jug /containers etc in siiver with intricate work on it. I am unable to find a dish large enough to place all these dishes. Please advise.

March 3, 2010 Flag

This is a useful hint for cleaning and re-plating silver cutlery. I got it from an old-fashioned butler. Crumple some clean aluminum foil (about 12 inches length of it) in a washing bowl of warm water with a little washing-up liquid.

June 29, 2004 Flag

Please help! I have stainless steel flatware, nothing fancy just normal everyday stuff, and wash it in the dishwasher. They never look clean! There are spots and grunge still on them. I have tried polishing them with a stainless steel cleaner-no luck! I am ready to just buy new but would like to save these they are only a year old but I just hate when they look dirty and spotty. Help!

Tanya

Will this work for silver flatware?

I used Lemi Shine and it works great. We have hard water and were advised to get a water softener. In the last ten years we have gone through 3 water heaters. Took the softener off and our silverware and the inside of our stainless steel dishwasher looked horrible. Used Lemi shine and my troubles are over.

How do i get tea stains and other marks off my flatware and stainless pots and pans? Please reply, thanks.

Try Bright Boy Metal Polish. I bought some at the grocery, and it's quick and easy.

June 15, 2013 Flag

I have a silver plated lighter which is heavily tarnished, but cannot be soaked for obvious reasons. Is there a homemade polish or cleaner that I can make which can be rubbed on similar to brass cleaner or wax polish?

By Iain M.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Wright's Silver Polish by Waiman is amazing. It brought my grandmother's plated silver back to life. It has not been touched in over 40 years and now it looks brand new.

April 20, 2012 Flag

To polish silverware and remove tarnish, use your Arm and Hammer baking soda, a bowl or pan to fit your silverware, and aluminum foil to line the bowl.

August 16, 2010 Flag

Please, is there an easy way to clean silverware without using Silvo? Thank you.

By Carolyn from Australia

Here are some home made remedies to clean silverware.

Baking Soda

Use baking soda to do a quick, easy polish on silverware. Make a paste of baking soda and water, and use it to polish away tarnish. Rinse the silverware and dry with a clean cloth. Add a bit of salt or lemon juice to the paste to increase the cleaning power and make the piece smell nice.

Toothpaste

Use a paste (not gel) toothpaste and a soft toothbrush or cloth to restore shine to silver. Rinse thoroughly, especially in crevices or etched decorations

I found this site to be very helpful.

Read more: Home Remedies for Cleaning Silverware | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6495854_ho ... eaning-silverware.html#ixzz0woAegt5x

I hope these ideas help you! : )

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalJuly 16, 2011
A polished set of silverware
Storing Silverware
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
old silverware
Uses for Old Silverware
Finished Wind Chimes
Silverware Wind Chimes
🎄
🍂