Pomeranian's Coat Not Growing Back

Category Health
Pomeranian
When your pet has health issues, it is important to consult with your veterinarian. This guide is about Pomeranian's coat not growing back.

When I adopted my two Poms in June, I had to have them shaved completely because they were terribly matted and there was no way around it. My female is starting to get her wonderful coat again, but the male is just getting hair on his back ; his legs and part of his rump have hair. Is this the way it sometimes grows back? Can someone help me ease my mind? I am terribly worried that my "Rusty" will not have all his lovely coat as before. Thanks.

Kathy from VA

Best Answer

I knew a woman 2-3 years ago who had a pom with a ratty looking coat; the dog was old, had been checked by a vet, nothing wrong. She looked at skin closely, thought she saw slight inflamation around hair follicles, started to use emu oil shampoo, and then emu oil. I came by to visit after some months and thought she had bought a new pup (figuring old dog had passed). Not only was it the same dog, but she had done same for husband (bald, nearing 80) and he had fuzz all over his head. They showed me....

I have a purebred Pomeranian that seems to have problems growing her hair. I have confirmed that she is a purebred pomeranian. Are they any ways that i can encourage her hair to grow? The attached picture is not of my dog but that exactly what she looks like but with shorter hair.

Sam from Rockhampton QLD

have you talked to your vet? maybe the groomer is using the wrong shampoo. There may be an under lying skin condition. one of my doxies had to have allergy testing and had her entire left side shaved. that was the middle of january. i started using a diet supplement called Missing Link. I also use a product Vitacoat. Both of these I get through a catalog & online www.DrsFosterSmith.com.

Litlle Pudge's hair is about 90% back to normal.

Hope this helps.

How old is your pom?Their full coats don't come in until they are over a year old.I had and pom and he didn't have a full coat until he was over a year old

It's possible that you are keeping your dog too warm. My pom has gobs of hair and I blame it on the fact that I keep my house fairly cool all winter and very cool in the summertime. In fact, he has so much hair that I have to use a thinning comb on him quite often!

I second having her checked out by a vet. Also, lowering the temperature may help as well.

It may also be that she just isn't going to get a huge coat. Our pom (pure-bred) has a nice thick coat, but I see tinier poms with just as much fur as our larger dog! If you live in a warm environment, having a shorter coat may be a blessing in disguise. We've had to trim our pom's coat down to an inch every summer or she refuses to MOVE and is obviously miserable.

My Pom is having the same problem. I keep the house cool (my husband is from Canada). I have had her checked by the vet, Her hair was fine but I noticed that the hair was not growing back after grooming. She has tufts right now. Spice is 7 years old. Please help if you know anything that will help my Spice.

Editor's Note: Here is a link to a site that has information on Alopecia which is a possible cause of this:

http://www.pomm  kskindisease.htm

I have a Pomeranian as well and he has the same problem. I was just wondering have you ever had her hair cut? My dogs hair was cut and after that his hair has not been growing back, I took my dog to a groomer and she said i should try a treat/food that is for the skin and coat. Also using spry when grooming his hair. Talk to your groomer about any of these products.

Tip: Don`t get your dogs hair shaved. Even if there are knots. Instead use spray to help keep knots out.

GIVE HER RAW EGG

MAYBE SOME FLAX OIL

MIX IN HER DOG FOOD

GOOD LUCK

CONFIDE IN GOOD NUTRISTION

PET CO

CHECK IT OUT

WATCH

WHAT U FEED HER NATURAL DOG FOOD NO CHEMICAL

IN HER DOG FOOD MAKE HER HAPPY READ YA INGREIDENT GOOD DAY TO U

MAKE SURE U

READ LABEL NO ANIMAL CRUETY

Meow I KITTEN

Doggone Funny Where That Dog lol

GOOD DAY TO U!

BLACKIE- N -

SPUNKY BOY

I have a pom and her hair is coming out in patches on her back. The vet give her an allergy shot but it did not help.This has been going on since winter.

Hi. If any of you want to email me directly with your problems I will do all I can to help you with possible answers and things to try.

zoe xxx www.pommania.co.uk

i had my pom groomed about 3 months ago and it is not growing back on his back. i am going to try the omega 3 oil in his food but i see that a lot of you had this problem but didnt state as to whether it was after a cut or not. he has been neutered for about 4 years now. the last haircut i noticed it didnt grow back as fast as the rest of his hair but this time it is just not growing out at all. any help would be appreciated.

thanks,

delores

I am having the same problem with my pomeranian. I shaved her, and now her hair is growing back in patches. I found some information on the internet. Apparently, sled dogs (close relation to poms) are prone to post-clipping alopecia. I took my dog to the vet, as well as this theory to the vet, and she told me this was correct. It is counter-intuitive, because apparently it is the skin's exposure to colder temperatures that slows/stops the hair growth....when you would think the cold temperature would make them grow more hair. My vet said the hair will eventually grow back, but in the mean time I can give my dog some Melatonin vitamins (you can get these at any natural food store). I have attached the information from the website....see below:

Post-clipping alopecia is a common condition found primarily in sled dogs (Samoyeds, Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes), Keeshonds and Chow Chows. After the hair is shaved closely, like when shaving the hair for venapuncture, surgery or wound management, regrowth is delayed for up to 6 to 12 months. Two theories are proposed as to why this occurs in sled dogs:

The hair no longer insulates the skin and the blood vessels constrict causing loss of blood flow to the hair follicles. This may be an adaptive mechanism to reduce the loss of heat from the exposed skin area in harshly cold climates.

Loss of the hair may cause a drop in temperature in the area that adversely affects the blood supply to the area.

Hair that eventually grows back in may be darker in color.

References:

Mordecai Siegal (Ed.) The UC Davis Book of Dogs. 1995, HarperCollins Publishers.

I got my Pom puppy (14 weeks old) cut short, but not shaved. I was not aware of the dangers in cutting them and am terrified that I ruined his coat. If it is just a one time thing, is it pretty likely that I have no damage my poor baby permanently?