Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Pomeranian's Coat Not Growing Back

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Pomeranian

When your pet has health issues, it is important to consult with your veterinarian. This guide is about Pomeranian's coat not growing back.

Here are questions related to Pomeranian's Coat Not Growing Back.

Question: Shaved Pom's Coat Isn't Growing Back Well

When I adopted my two Poms in June, I had to have them shaved completely because they were terribly matted and there was no way around it. My female is starting to get her wonderful coat again, but the male is just getting hair on his back ; his legs and part of his rump have hair. Is this the way it sometimes grows back? Can someone help me ease my mind? I am terribly worried that my "Rusty" will not have all his lovely coat as before. Thanks.

Kathy from VA

Best Answer

By pikka (Guest Post)08/07/2007

I knew a woman 2-3 years ago who had a pom with a ratty looking coat; the dog was old, had been checked by a vet, nothing wrong. She looked at skin closely, thought she saw slight inflamation around hair follicles, started to use emu oil shampoo, and then emu oil. I came by to visit after some months and thought she had bought a new pup (figuring old dog had passed). Not only was it the same dog, but she had done same for husband (bald, nearing 80) and he had fuzz all over his head. They showed me....

Question: Pomeranian's Hair Not Growing

I have a purebred Pomeranian that seems to have problems growing her hair. I have confirmed that she is a purebred pomeranian. Are they any ways that i can encourage her hair to grow? The attached picture is not of my dog but that exactly what she looks like but with shorter hair.

Sam from Rockhampton QLD

Most Recent Answer

By Amber (Guest Post)09/10/2008

I am having the same problem with my pomeranian. I shaved her, and now her hair is growing back in patches. I found some information on the internet. Apparently, sled dogs (close relation to poms) are prone to post-clipping alopecia. I took my dog to the vet, as well as this theory to the vet, and she told me this was correct. It is counter-intuitive, because apparently it is the skin's exposure to colder temperatures that slows/stops the hair growth....when you would think the cold temperature would make them grow more hair. My vet said the hair will eventually grow back, but in the mean time I can give my dog some Melatonin vitamins (you can get these at any natural food store). I have attached the information from the website....see below:

Post-clipping alopecia is a common condition found primarily in sled dogs (Samoyeds, Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes), Keeshonds and Chow Chows. After the hair is shaved closely, like when shaving the hair for venapuncture, surgery or wound management, regrowth is delayed for up to 6 to 12 months. Two theories are proposed as to why this occurs in sled dogs:
The hair no longer insulates the skin and the blood vessels constrict causing loss of blood flow to the hair follicles. This may be an adaptive mechanism to reduce the loss of heat from the exposed skin area in harshly cold climates.
Loss of the hair may cause a drop in temperature in the area that adversely affects the blood supply to the area.
Hair that eventually grows back in may be darker in color.

References:

Mordecai Siegal (Ed.) The UC Davis Book of Dogs. 1995, HarperCollins Publishers.

Solutions: Pomeranian's Coat Not Growing Back

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!