Poor Man's Cake Recipes

Recipes of this type have been popular since the Great Depression and can be served as a simpler, less expensive alternative to the traditional fruitcake during the holidays too. This page contains poor man's cake recipes.

Poor Man's Cake
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 19, 2010 Flag

Very similar to spice cake, this recipe has been handed down in my family for generations. It is called Poor Man's Cake because you don't need milk, butter or eggs to make it. During the depression, these were expensive and during the War (World War II) they were rationed. It is an excellent, moist cake that needs no frosting. It is always a big hit at potlucks.

Wet:
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 cup shortening, melted
  • 1 box raisins (not snack size)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. cloves
Dry:
  • 3 cups flour, sifted
  • 2 tsp. baking soda

Directions:

Combine all ingredients in saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool at room temperature. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into a large, generously greased and floured cake pan (I use a 13 x 9 inch pan) and bake at 325 degrees F. for 25-30 minutes. Center should be firm and a clean knife or toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean. Allow to cool before cutting.

Source: Knox family recipe

By dove947 from Millinocket, ME

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 5, 2005 Flag

I lost my recipe for a very moist poor man's cake. it was dark brown in color and very moist. I tried a recipe from the internet, and it was not at all like my favorite one. It came out lighter in color, and somewhat dry. Does anyone have this very moist poor man's cake recipe? I would appreciate it!

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think this may be the recipe you were looking for. I got it off the internet because I'd lost my recipe, too. Thanks to Mrs. Dorothy David, we can both enjoy an old favorite. Good luck.

Bonnie N.

Title: Poor Man'S Chocolate Cake

Ingredients

3 c flour

2 c sugar

6 tb cocoa

2 ts baking soda

1 ts salt

12 tb oil

2 tb vinegar

2 ts vanilla

2 c cold water

Instructions

Notes: By Mrs. Dorothy David, Albrightsville. The Times News, PA

In greased pan 13x9, mix all ingredients until smooth. Bake 350ø 40 to 45 minutes. Do not overbake. Frost if desired. (see below)

Poor Man'S Frosting -- Yield: 4 To 6 Servings

Ingredients

1 c milk

1/4 c flour

1 dash salt

1 c sugar

1/2 c margarine

1/2 c vegetable shortening - such as crisco

1 t. vanilla

Instructions

In saucepan, cook milk, flour & salt till thick.Cool well. In small mixing bowl add sugar, margarine & shortening. Beat well with electric mixer. Add flour mixture & 1 t. vanilla. Beat till fluffy and stiff like whipped cream.

I sent you feed back regarding your search for the Poor Man's Chocolate Cake, but just now I found another recipe on line that I think is much closer to the one I remember and may be the same for you. Good luck!

This is the one my grandmother always made. It is dark and very moist.

Stew one pound of raisins in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes. In the same pot add 1/2 cup of shortening and stir until melted. Add 1 cup cold water, 2 cups brown sugar, 2 cups of flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Then add 2 more cups of flour on top of the baking soda (if the baking soda hits the warm water it will start to fizz too soon). Add 1 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg and either allspice or cloves (I used allspice). Mix in original pot and pour into a greased and floured 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, turn oven off and leave cake in for 5 more minutes. Cool completely before covering.

hdharley @ verizon .net (remove spaces to email)

I read about this recipe in a book by Fern Michaels. The book is called Texas Fury and it is the third in a series of 4.

I want to try the recipe but I don't think they used vegetable oil back in the day. I'm going to try it with shortening (the closest thing to lard). I don't think the recipe is as expensive as ya'll make it out to sound (pound for pound anyway). Back in the day, the spices were probably the most expensive things they had to buy and I'm sure they didn't add nuts unless it was a special occasion (the holidays). I'm going to give it a shot and hope my family likes it. Thanks all for sharing.

Read More Answers...

November 10, 2006 Flag

Ingredients

• 1 cup raisins
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp. soda
  • 2 rounded Tbsp. shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • Pinch of each of the following:
  • salt
  • allspice
  • nutmeg
  • cinnamon
  • ginger

Directions

Cook raisins and water down to 1 cup juice. Add soda and shortening to liquid while warm. Add sugar and flour (enough to make light batter - will not be stiff), baking powder, salt, allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ginger. Mix well and bake at 350 degrees F until done.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cakes FruitJuly 13, 2013
black beans
Poor Man's Caviar Recipes
Boy dressed in an old man costume.
Making an Old Man Costume
Yellow cake with chocolate frosting.
Homemade Yellow Cake Recipes
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:05:58 AM on 10.0.2.141 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.