Potato Bead Necklace

This necklace is made (believe it or not) in part with potatoes. The grayer beads that you see are the potatoes, the other beads, I bought mostly in a craft store. You just take a potato and cut it up into 1/2 inch pieces. Thread them on the round toothpicks and let dry.

Every day, turn them to keep them from sticking to the toothpick. If you happen to forget, you can wet them and get them off that way and then let re-dry. Then when they are dry, take them off the toothpick and thread them on elastic thread. I just made a knot on mine, I did not even use a clasp, although you could. Since the string is elastic, it will go over your head. You may also paint them and add other beads. Fun thing to do.

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Answers:

Potato Bead Necklace

You can paint those beads once they are dry. They are hard as bricks. (11/30/2007)

By Paula

Potato Bead Necklace

I have seen entire necklaces made this way. The potato chunks were painted blue and looked exactly like turquoise stones. I would never have known the difference if the person wearing it hadn't told me it was made from potatoes. (11/30/2007)

By tiffanyau

Potato Bead Necklace

I make all kinds of jewelry from potato beads. When interspersed with other beads, they form lovely items. I sell mine in an art gallery. I just filled a commission for 3 necklaces, 2 bracelets, and 2 brooches for Xmas gifts. Use acrylic paints, prisma glitter, sparkle glaze, etc. Experiment, it is habit forming.
You can use a dehydrator to dry your potato beads overnight. (12/25/2008)

By Anna N.

Potato Bead Necklace

I have also dried baby carrots and painted them. You can string them with a potato bead, spacer, carrot, spacer and so on. I made mine about 15 years ago and they are still good. (01/12/2009)

By Shonda S.

Potato Bead Necklace

To the question about potatoes getting rotten and smelling bad, that's why you dry them. I put mine on a skewer and let them dry, they are hard as "turquoise", maybe I'm the one who told the other post that I was wearing potatoes, not expensive turquoise. I made mine 10 years ago, it's still perfect. Also, you can spray them with lacquer for even more years of wear. (01/28/2009)

By Phyllis

Potato bead necklace.
Making Potato Beads
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Getting Knots Out of a Gold Chain
Getting Knots Out of a Gold Chain
beads
Making Tri-Bead Keychains
🎉
🎄