Potato Soup

Does anyone know of a tried and true potato soup recipe that is delicious?

By CNBS from OH

Potato Soup Recipe

Just found this one recently and have made it several times this winter. Everyone loves it.

Fabulous Potato Soup

• 2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/5 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/4 tsp. dried crushed rosemary
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (I use 2% milk)
Place potatoes and water in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender (about 7-10 minutes). Meanwhile, in another saucepan, saute chopped onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour, salt, thyme, rosemary and pepper. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil, cook stirring for 2 minutes. Add potatoes with hot water. Heat through and serve hot.

Since the potatoes do not have too much flavor, I started adding a teaspoon of beef or vegetable bouillon to the water used to cook the potatoes. It adds a nice flavor (02/01/2010)

By RealtorRose

Potato Soup Recipe

I ran across this on the net a year or so ago when I had a bunch of potatoes to use. It is fabulous! My husband could eat this once a week (and I've got my potatoes baked today for use tomorrow!).

A baked potato soup with butter, green onions, bacon, cheddar cheese sour cream, and seasonings.
Actual ingredients 2gether cook time: 15 minutes

• 2/3 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 7 cups milk
  • 4 large baking potatoes, baked, cooled, peeled and cubed, about 4 cups (I do mine the day b4)
  • 4 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 10 to 12 strips bacon, cooked, drained, and crumbled
  • 1 1/4 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream (I don't add this)
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper

In a large Dutch oven or stockpot over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour; stir until smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly, until sauce has thickened. Add potatoes and onions. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until soup begins to bubble. Reduce heat; simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; stir until cheese is melted. Serve baked potato soup immediately.

This baked potato soup recipe serves 6 to 8. (02/02/2010)

By tahloolabelle

Potato Soup Recipe

The first one is a girlfriends recipe and the second one is mine ;-)

Savory Bacon Chowder

• 8 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch slices
  • 6 medium (2 cups) new red potatoes, cubed 1/2-inch
  • 2 medium (1 cup) onions, chopped
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1 (8-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
Cook bacon in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes; add potatoes and onions. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender (10 to 15 minutes). Add all remaining ingredients. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until heated through (5 to 10 minutes).

Yield: 6 (1-cup) servings

Ham and Potato Soup

• 3 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, diced or chopped
  • 1/3 cup onion, chopped finely
  • 1 cup cooked ham, diced
  • 3 1/4 cups water
  • 2 Tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
  • Salt to taste
  • Pepper to taste
  • 5 Tbsp. butter
  • 5 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
Combine potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender. Stir chicken bouillon, salt and pepper. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, about 4 minutes. Stir this mixture into the stockpot and cook soup until heated through. (02/02/2010)

By Deeli

Potato Soup Recipe

Good ole Appalachian Potato Soup

I cook my potatoes for soup in chicken broth. I use one or two 16 oz cans for up to 5 lbs of potatoes, peeled and chopped. Add 1 lb of onions chopped, one cup of finely diced celery and a pinch of nutmeg.

Cover the rest with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender and water thickens.

I use a potato masher and mash some of the potatoes and then add one or more cans of evaporated milk, little salt if needed until the right consistency is achieved. If you get it too thin, you can always add a few instant potato flakes to thicken it up. Serve in a soup bowl to which you add a spoonful of butter.

I really love this soup and serve it with cheesy corn muffins, just adding a cup of grated cheese to the corn muffin mix. (02/02/2010)

By NancySparks

Potato Soup Recipe

The easiest and least expensive version you will try:

In a stock pot, melt 1/2 stick of butter and 1/4 cup vegetable oil and add one chopped onion. Saute until soft but not brown. Add in one large bag of Southern style frozen hash browns (you can use shredded if the other style is not available). Stir and allow to cook until the potatoes are thawed but don't let the onion burn.

Add 8 cups of chicken broth (homemade is best but canned, cartons or bouillon will do.) Let simmer until the potatoes are cooked stirring periodically.

Put in an immersion blender and blend until most but not all of the potatoes are smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring to the correct consistency with some milk, evaporated milk, cream or half-and-half.
Serve with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon. Ready in less than 30 minutes. (02/02/2010)

By rbrady

Potato Soup Recipe

We absolutely love this recipe.

My Potato Soup
Yields: 5 servings

"This is a thick, hearty soup. Kids love this because of the cheesy flavor."

• 3 cups peeled and cubed potatoes
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 cups cubed Velveeta cheese

In a large stock pot add potatoes, onion with enough water to cover. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until vegetables become tender.

Pour off most of the water.

Mix 1 1/2 cups milk and flour together. When mixed thoroughly add to vegetables to 1 1/2 inch above vegetables. (May need more milk.)

Add cut up Velveeta cheese. If more cheese is wanted, may add more to your taste.

Simmer until cheese melts. (02/02/2010)

By vjdf

Potato Soup Recipe

I have given this recipe to many people and they absolutely love it. The best part is it's so simple.

• 3 cups diced potatoes
  • 2 stalks celery, minced
  • 1 carrot, minced
  • 1 small onion, minced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp chicken bouillon (powder or liquid)
  • 3 cups milk
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 2 tbsp margarine or butter
Combine potatoes, celery, carrots, onion, seasonings, water and bouillon in a 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to boil and simmer covered for 13 to 16 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine 1/4 cup milk and flour, blend till smooth. Set aside. Add remaining milk and butter to potatoes then stir in flour mixture till smooth. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until mixture boils. Ham or bacon can be added for added flavour. Enjoy!

Preparation time approx. 20 min
Serves 6 (02/03/2010)

By wedge

Potato Soup Recipe

Wow, thanks for all of the delicious sounding potato soup recipes so far. I am going to print them out and I will have a "Potato Soup" cookbook! lol I can't wait to try each one. It may be a while before I can get back and post details about each one but I will try. Thanks again for taking the time to post your favorites! (02/03/2010)

By 79chrisab

Potato Soup Recipe

We love this potato soup recipe. It's quick and easy to make.

Cheddar Potato Soup

• 1/3 cup chopped onion (optional)
  • 1/3 cup chopped celery (optional)
  • 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
  • 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (I use red potatoes)
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

Take potatoes out and mash them. Return to the pan. Stir in the cheese, milk, and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.

By Hate Litter

Potato Soup Recipes
Potato Soup Recipes
Irish Potato Soup
Irish Potato Soup Recipes
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup
Potato Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipes
Bowl of cheesy potato soup with shredded cheese on top in green bowl on a green plaid napkin
Cheesy Potato Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup