Potty Training a Puppy

I have had my puppy since it was 5 weeks old. It is now about 5 months old and it is still going in the house! We have done everything we know to do and nothing seems to work. Could you please help us?

LJ

Answers:

Potty Training a Puppy, Not so sure about puppy pads!

We recently got an 11 month old Toy Poodle. It's owner, an 82 yr old lady, had to give him up after putting her husband in assisted living. She just couldn't care for him anymore with going to visit her husband a lot, etc. She used puppy pads to train him, and crate trained him. So we thought we would go with the flow and use the puppy pads, but with all the stress of changing homes he won't use the pads at all and wants to go all over the house! So we are starting from square one and crate training. We have had him a month and he still won't use the pads.

It takes forever for him to go when we take him out. We wait for close to an hour, and as soon as he goes we praise him, give him a treat, and bring him in. Then we dread him eating and drinking because we know soon we have to go through this again, lol, but we are patient. When we take him out he acts like he doesn't know what he's out there for; so he may as well play and go sooner or later. Mostly later, much later! I spoke with his groomer and she asked if we got him house broke. I said, "Well, not yet". She said, "Well she ruined that! She used pads all the time. That's all he knows". She agreed it has to be the stress causing him not to use them now. When I said he acts like he doesn't know why he's outside, she said, "Well he probably doesn't. She took him for a little walk but not out to go potty". I'm afraid he won't ever be potty trained. (03/31/2009)

By Ariela

RE: Potty Training a Puppy, Not so sure about puppy pads!

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎉
🎄