Potty Training a Puppy

What's the best way to potty train a Toy Poodle puppy?

By Kelly from AL

Potty Training a Puppy

The method I have used over the years is to crate train them. I was brought up with toy and miniature Poodles and they are extremely smart dogs. I have also used this method with every other dog I've had.

I have a kennel type cage that is built for a medium size dog. I like this size because the pup has room to move around and play and sleep, but it is small enough that the pup will not pee or poop in there if it can help it. They, by nature, will not pee or poop where they sleep.

I take the puppy out every 2 hours day and night for the first few weeks. Then slowly start lengthening the time in the cage as they physically start to get more control over their systems. It takes a long time, but it works. And once they do get house trained, if they start having accidents in a few months don't worry. Just haul out the crate again and start putting the puppy in there again.

Actually until the dog is about 8 months old or so I put him in the cage any time I go to bed or go out. I leave the cage set up in the living room with the door open. He starts going in and out of it on his own.

Don't put his food and water in there. Offer that to him whenever you bring him out. Also give him lots of loving when he does his business outside like he should. And also allow him time indoors to be with you and the family. Just watch him very closely and if he starts looking for a place, snatch him up and take him out. Good luck (03/12/2010)

By Cricketnc

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy