Potty Training an Adult Dog

My spayed female 3 year old Silky Poo dog pees in the house, in the spare room. I let her outside often to do her thing, but she still pees inside. She is a very dominant dog and is loved dearly. She plays a lot and is full of energy. I've only had her for 1 year and she had been hit by a car when I got her. So, she recuperated in my care and I kept her. I know she is happy so why does she pee in the house? I just don't get it. I praise her when she does her thing outside.
Please help!

By airmona from Vancouver, BC

Answers:

Potty Training an Adult Dog

If you don't already, try spraying each potty spot in the house with a vinegar solution, which is just vinegar. They don't like that smell, so they wont be visiting those spots anymore. And I watch a lot of "It's Me or The Dog" on Animal Planet. An owner had the same issue, and Victoria (the dog trainer), said that they are either 1:stressed/angry, or 2: not walked long enough at a time. Maybe the spare room has a certain scent she doesn't like, maybe she pees in the house because of the energy, when she gets hyper, maybe take her outside and let her be hyper. Then if that's the reason she pees inside, she will do it outside. If these reasons aren't of any benefit to you, please run that by me and I'm sure ill come up with something else. Best of luck. (01/20/2011)

By Pate18

Potty Training an Adult Dog

I bought one of those "puppy pad" things that have a artificial grass and a low tray under it to collect the urine for my dogs. The female took to it immediately and the male he tries, but misses the mark so I put newspaper down around it. It has saved a lot of angst for me and my family. Just a suggestion. (01/23/2011)

By Bookeesmom

House Training an Adult Dog
House Training an Adult Dog
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
A child's feet sitting on a toilet during potty training.
Potty Training Your Child
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog
🎉
🎄