Power Outage Safety Plan for People on Oxygen

Category Preparation
A power outage can become a dangerous situation for someone on oxygen, unless they have planned ahead. This is a guide about power outage safety plan for people on oxygen.

Winter is here and has reared it's ugly head upon most of the United States. During these times, we often forget that people who are on oxygen may need to make sure they are kept in supplies. Most people have concentrators which run off electricity. If you have a power failure, you are not going to be using the concentrator. Take a few minutes and call up your provider and order some large bottles that last around 8 hours and some smaller ones in case you need to travel.

There are loved ones who don't think about their oxygen and may have some memory problems. If you are a family member or friend, help them out by reminding them to call for a fresh shipment.

You have loved ones who don't want to see you in bad shape because of something that could have been prevented, so take a couple of minutes and take care of this right now. It will save a lot of heartache and discomfort if you do.

By Gem from VA

Do you have a safety plan for events such as snow storms with power outages? What is your plan of action? Having a plan is important if you are elderly, or know of any elderly or disabled persons, people that depend on electrical devices, such as oxygen.

All of the above can happen even in rain storms, thunder and lightening, hurricanes, or heavy winds with rain. Summertime brown-outs can occur when too much electrical service is being used during heat waves.

Everyone should have a safety plan.

As an example, here is my own. I am not elderly, but I am disabled. And I am on oxygen 24/7, run by an electric concentrator. I use portable oxygen tanks when I go out. I always keep my portable tanks full at all times.

Anyone in my situation or anyone in any medically dependent situation should contact, in advance, your local police/fire/and electric co. and be put on a first response list. By doing this, one call to the 911 during an outage, means they will respond immediately and bring you to a facility such as a hospital, shelter, or school that has generated electricity. If you are a medically dependent person, do not forget to bring your list of medications with you. This is very important.

Also everyone should always have a safety kit made up of: flash lights, extra batteries, candles, lighters, a medical first aid kit, and a cell phone that is all charged. Also, add in snacks and juices that can be stored and do not need to be refrigerated.

Then have a plan in place for where to go if the power is out for a great length of time.