Power of Attorney and HIPPA Rights

Category Legal
A pencil and the word legal written.
Navigating through legal and medical issues can be complicated. This is a guide about Power of Attorney and HIPPA rights.

My sister and brother have POA over my mother. Neither one is helping her with her medical issues (doctor appt, diabetes, hospital, medication, etc). I feel as if they are not good POAs for her health. What rights do I have. I'm being told because of the HIPPA law, I have no rights and hospitals can't do anything since she does not understand the seriousness of her illness. I also live in a different state than they do.

By Billie Jo

RE: HIIPA Rights POA

Hello Billie Jo-

I don't know how old your post is (today is 12/16/13) but I have exactly the same problem.

My mother is becoming very incapacitated, and my sister lives next door. They live several days away from me. I am a nurse.

I have just found out that mom's health care providers were "instructed" not to talk to me because my sister said she has POA (I did not know that mother had a HIIPA POA).

The solution would be to talk to mother - but she lives in under my sister's control and would not want to jeopardize or provoke her (As you can see, the family is dysfunctional). Do you have any advice?

I thank you for your attention. ~ Rouge