Fixing Pre-Lit Christmas Tree

Here is your solution. Find the non-removable bulb with the white socket. It is the last one on the strand, I believe the "non-replacable" white bulb exists only so that you have to buy a new tree ever four years. :(

You will find that it's blackened or burned and causing your problem.

Wiggle out the bulb, then dig out the socket with a pair of pliers. Be careful not to destroy the socket. Take your time, wiggle it loose. Stick any replacement bulb into that socket and, BAM, your tree will be perfect again!

Top Comment

Thanks to who ever posted the post about finding the white tip nonreplaceable bulbs and changing out the bulb in the tip. My tree is 6 years old and the first time ever had a problem. Thanks to you every branch is lit up.

Top Comment

I also want to give my thanks to DrFriedrichs! Our pre-lit tree is several years old. My husband replaced burnt out bulbs and used the LightKeeper Pro to get all the strands working ... except the top one. It came down to that bulb, the one in the white socket, the one you think you can't replace. Thanks to DrFriedrichs post my husband got the bulb out, replaced it, and the tree is like new again! Thank you, thank you! And Merry Christmas!

Top Comment

The GE "constant on" feature is suppose to keep the series of lights working if one or two burn out, however; if the white socket light burns out you can't fix it without voiding their warranty. Who cares! I have lived a couple of years with a section out on my tree and now 3 more sections went out. I bought the lightkeeper pro and found that entire sections had no electrical current but the lights worked when I tested them. So when I pulled the special white socket out and replaced the burnt bulb the section works great.

Just take care not to ruin the white socket when you pull it out. I suggest to gently pull on the bulb, the whole thing may come out easily; if not then pull out the bulb anyways, then unplug the tree and use needle nose pliers to remove the white socket doing as little damage as possible to the white socket itself. Replace with a new bulb and your tree's light section should work just like new!

Top Comment

We have a GE prelit tree from Costco. We tried to figure out why so many branch lights went out. We found the 'unremovable' white rimmed bulbs and pulled them out. Some came out whole, others bulbs wire broke and the white interior was removed with a needle nose pilar, with tree unplugged.

When we plugged tree back in most of the strands were working. The problem plug that didn't bring the lights back on was not making the connection inside the plug like the other removed plugs did, so with a small screw driver and the lights power off, we carefully pushed the connectors inside so they touched and voila' our tree had all the lights back on.

On a 9 ft tree there are about 7 of these 'special' bulbs. Baa Humbug to GE. We don't have to buy another tree. Hope this helps you.

I Have a prelit Pier 1 xmas tree and some of the sections are not lit .Tried to find the white base lights and there are none to find in this set.Each bulb has a clip type snap on side to release before removing the bulb .Can you help with our light delimena.

Lynda

Dear DrFriedrichs: I don't know if you'll ever see this message, but we send to you a HUGE thank you!

All GE offered was to sell us new branches at an outrageous cost. We found you posting and it worked beautifully!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Thanks it worked!

What if there is no white socket light in the prelit tree

We can't find the non removable bulb you're talking about :(

What if there's no whit socket

I'm not seeing the white sockets in mine either....

What if I can't find a white soket

No white sockets?! Seemingly in the newer models from the dates of these responses. Please post if you've found a fix. Our entire tree went out.

On mine simply removing the light worked without replacing the light, just leaving the socket empty.

I have a Pre Lit 7.5 Christmas Tree from costco for 2 years now and it's a multi color but can change from Colored to white... however I just set up the Tree and only the colored Lights are working, but the white lights do not function. Any suggestions?

PS- the bulb is the same for the white and color lights.

I changed all the lights in one string it is a pre light tree and I changed the fusses and still won't turn on way

Anonymous

On my pre-lit tree of 5 years I finally decided to replace the non working bulbs. Now, my problem is that once I did this the bottom row of branches only started blinking! I don't want them to blink so am trying to stop it. I cannot find a red tipped bulb that usually marks it as the blinker & have no idea what to do now. Of course I can't find my instructions either. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Thank you thank you thank you!!! It worked :)

I have a prelit tree that a small section of lights in the middle of the tree is not working. Sections of lights below and above work. I have checked every light in this section and they all test good. However, I noticed the sockets for the first bulb that is out and the last bulb that is out are slightly different that the rest. There are a few more of these same sockets on the tree and the lights in those work. I've tried switching bulbs in these sockets, but it doesn't make any difference. Help!

The last bulb has a fuse in it and a white socket. Replace the burned out fuse bulb with a new one

Hi, I just tried this and it didn't work. I checked all of the bulbs at the very end of each strand and they all look fine.