Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

I bought a pre-lit Christmas tree from Elder Beerman's after-Christmas sale. The tree was a display tree, and for some reason when it was taken down all the light sets were unplugged. It has been a total nightmare in getting the lights to work. The tree was put in a different box with the wrong instructions. I have no idea how to even plug the lights up without the schematic diagram.

This is the only site that has mentioned the white bulb base. We removed them and did not replace that socket with anything and the light is still light. My problem is the correct way to connect the sets of lights. I hope I have given enough info. I have had my tree up since Thanksgiving and still not decorated, because of the light thing. Please, any help will be useful. The plug ends do have a letter and number Ex: D35. Thanks in advance.

Tammy from Charleston, IL

Answers:

Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

With the pre-lit trees, sometimes you will get a pinched wire when folding it back up to store it. If you have a hinged tree, you can light it in sections with regular strings of lights and leave them on, so all you have to do the next year is plug them in. If you have to replace a strand, it's not hard. (12/20/2008)

By A guest

Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

I wouldn't fool around wasting my time trying to get the lights to work. I would return the tree and either have the store people figure it out, get another tree, or ask for my money back. (12/21/2008)

By Harry

Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

We have a tree we purchased from Kmart last year on clearance. It's great and I love it, but the lights were starting to go out already. Found this site as a result of the google search I did, and we tried to locate the "safety" lights and ended up cutting them out of the circuits and splicing the lights together. Worked very well. I may get the LKP also, as there are still some areas which aren't lit up, but it's way better than before we started removing the "safety" lights. On our tree in particular, there was no white, the safety ones were blackish green and clearly had no way to remove the bulbs. (12/23/2008)

By Tricia

Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

Are there companies that service the pre-lit trees? I don't have the time or the patience to pick through 1500 lights. I love the tree, but after 4 years it is becoming more work than it should be. Thank you. (12/31/2008)

By Gene

Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

Sorry I don't have the answer, but I can tell you that I have owned two pre-lit trees and their lights fail after a few years. In fact, after only a couple, I found various "strings" would go out. So I spent a considerable amount of time cutting out the lights, and now am back to putting my own on each year. But the tree is beautiful and I love it! Good luck. (01/05/2009)

By NHLinda

Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

I noticed several posts in this area that mention eliminating or shorting out the safety fuse lamp. While it might make the string of lights work, it's not a good idea. They use small wires on these light strings and the tree is usually plugged into a circuit supplied by a 15A breaker; a lot more than the small wires can safely handle. The safety fuse lamp is in there to keep the tree from catching on fire if certain fault conditions should occur.

A better approach could be to cut out the safety fuse lamp and replace it with a splice-in fuse holder for AG type fuses. A small amp fuse, 1 - 5 amps, rated for use on a 120VAC circuit (assuming USA here) should work fine. Just so there is something in there to open the circuit in case of a fault. That's better than having the wires heat up and catch on fire. (01/14/2009)

By Terry

Pre-lit Tree Lights Not Working

Whenever I assemble my pre-lit tree, I plug the lights in and that way I can tell when I have the various plugs in the right sockets.

If the tree lights are completely dead, I wouldn't bother cutting the old lights out, I would just string other lights on the tree and proceed with the decorating. I usually add some LED lights to my tree anyway. (06/13/2009)

By redhatterb

Artificial Christmas Tree
Pre-lit Christmas Tree Lights Not Working
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Classic Christmas Tree
Putting Lights on a Christmas Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎉
🎄