Preparing Okra for Freezing

I would like to know how to prepare sliced okra for freezing.

Richard from Anthony, NM

Preparing Okra for Freezing

If you want to freeze it whole. Select small pods. Cut a tiny bit into the top not cutting into the pod. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add one teaspoon vinegar. Add okra and blanch about 3 minutes. Pour through a colander and drain. Then add to a pan of ice water to chill. Drain and bag. Or you can cut off both ends and slice.

For breading okra, salt and pepper, beat a egg or two according to the amount you have. Use self rising meal and self rising flour to coat well. I mix mine with my hands. Deep fry about 5 minutes or until light brown. Freeze on cookie sheet and bag when frozen. When ready to use put the frozen okra in deep fryer and finish the browning. Enjoy! (08/09/2006)

By Faye

Preparing Okra for Freezing

I just cut off the both ends of the okra slice and put in freezer bags. No blanching is needed. Can be used frozen in gumbos, stews etc. or thawed and then fried. (08/10/2006)

By ladylynnk

Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
fried okra
Cooking Okra
Pickled Okra
Pickled Okra Recipes
Drying Okra for Crafts
Okra Plant with Blue Sky in Background
Growing Okra