Herbs and SpicesFood Tips

Preserving Herbs in Olive Oil

I once saw a post of how to process basil, cilantro, and parsley in a food processor with olive oil, but I forgot what else. I did it once and it lasted me a while in the fridge. I loved the idea, but I have since lost the instructions for how to do it. I tried to do it again, but I did something wrong because the mix quickly went bad (moldy). Does someone know how to do this?

Thank you.

By Rosa G.

Anonymous

You can find all sorts of herb pesto recipes on the web but here is a very basic one. The cheese, nuts and lemon juice are optional depending on the herb you use. If you think you won't be using the pesto within a couple of days it freezes really well:

Basic Herb Pesto

2 cups fresh herb leaves, washed and removed from the stem

3-4 cloves garlic

1/4 to 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste

1 cup grated hard cheese

3/4 cup toasted nuts i.e. pine nuts, peanuts, walnuts

1 tsp grated lemon zest or 1 tbsp juice

Place herbs and garlic in a blender with a little oil or in your food processor without oil. Blend and process briefly. Add remaining oil in a slow stream through the feed tube, until the mixture achieves the consistency of thick cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Add cheese, nuts and/or lemon and blend, if desired.

Do not try to preserve fresh herbs in olive oil. It will eventually go bad and you could get very sick/die from ingesting it. But you can first dry the herbs so that all the moisture is gone, then put in olive oil. This way it will keep a long and will not become rancid, etc. Anne

Anonymous

Rosa, no offense to annielaundrie but I think she mistook what you were asking for. Fresh herbs blended with olive oil in a blender is pesto sauce and completely safe to ingest as long as refrigerated no longer than a couple of days and/or frozen and then thawed to use immediately.