Preserving Special T-Shirts

Category Clothing
New York T-Shirt
Beloved souvenir t-shirts from special events, concerts or trips can be hard to let go of. Repurposing or displaying a t-shirt, is a great way to preserve your momento. This is a guide about preserving special t-shirts.

Do you have a t-shirt you just can't seem to give up but it has some stains or tears? Well, make it into a pillow. First cut the design or pattern from the front of the shirt into a square, then sew material that coordinates with the shirt around the center. When you have the size you like, take the back of the t-shirt if it's in good condition and make the back of the pillow, sew together and stuff. Now you have a new favorite pillow

By Beesplace from Indiana PA

Because I have six kids, we tend to pass down a lot of clothes to the next sibling. My oldest son had a special shirt he simply did NOT want to let go of. Rather than pass it down to his brother, I agreed to let him keep it. But he simply could not keep it as a shirt because he continued to wear it, despite his belly hanging out. So I stitched up the arm holes and neck hole and filled the "torso" of the shirt with fiberfill. Then I stitched up the bottom of the shirt, creating a super cute, super cozy pillow!

My next younger son loved the idea so much, he too had me stitch up his favorite shirt he was quickly outgrowing. It has now been about 6 years and the two boys still cherish their "shirt pillows". The best part for them is to see old pictures that they were wearing their shirts in and now they can remember those fun times every time they hug their pillows.

By imama2many from UT

My grandchildren live with me, and we are always have to buy new T-shirts for them. We recycle old T-shirts with sayings and such on them, by taking a hoop that is used for sewing projects, and putting the shirt in the hoop with the part you want to show. Put the hoop together, then trim the rest of the shirt off. Use lace on the back side where you have cut the excess shirt off to cover the cut edge. These make great wall hangings for your kids' room or birthday or holiday gifts.

By granny from Foley, MO

My nephew had a Sponge Bob shirt that was too small, but he still wanted to wear it. So I made a doll with it. I designed everything on paper first then proceeded to cut everything out. You can use an existing pattern for dolls, but I chose to design it myself. I made a head, attached yarn for the hair, and then I used permanent marker for the face. I made arms and legs out of a muslin, and stuffed them with poly-fill. I used his shirt for the body, and stuffed it with poly-fill. He loved it and so did his sister, so I did the same thing for her out of her favorite shirt. I thought this way they could keep their favorite shirt and not wear it.

By Sandra P. from Locust Grove, OK

Washing a shirt that has been autographed can be risky. Depending on the type of ink used for the signature there are some helpful hints in this guide. This is a guide about washing an autographed shirt.

washing machine

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I went to my favourite artist's concert, Paloma Faith, and had the privilege to meet her and she signed my top. I don't want to lose the signature. What do I do to keep it fresh please?

Honestly, the best thing to do is not wear the shirt, ever. Frame it and hang it up. The Internet surely has instructions for doing this in a way that protects the shirt from soil, moisture, fading, etc.