Pressure Cooker Chinese Simmered Chicken
Vote for this contest contender!
Another winner from my Instant Pot Facebook group. I used chicken thighs, but you can use any chicken pieces you want. This can be made in a stovetop pressure cooker, if you don't have an Instant Pot. I have read that stovetop cookers cook at higher pressure, so reduce the time by a few minutes.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: about 20 minutes
Total Time: 36 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
Source: Instant Pot Facebook Group
- 4 lb chicken, bone in or out, skin removed
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry sherry or apple juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (I used 1/6 cup Truvia brown sugar blend)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp corn starch or potato starch
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- Remove skin and fat from chicken.
- Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, water, ketchup, red pepper flakes, garlic and scallion and whisk together well.
- Select sauté or browning on your pressure cooker and allow to full heat. Add 1 Tablespoon of oil to pressure cooker cooking pot and lightly sear chicken pieces, doing the dark meat first, if you have any.
- Deglaze the cooking pot with the sherry and then add the sauce and mix through.
- Lock on lid and close pressure valve. Cook at high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Use 15 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Turn off pressure cooker and then select sauté or browning button.
- Remove 1/2 cup of sauce, add corn starch or potato starch and whisk until smooth. Add the cornstarch mixture and mix it in.
- Remove dark meat chicken, if you used it, to the platter. Continue whisking until sauce is sticky and thick.
- Pour sauce over chicken and garish with toasted sesame seeds, if you used them.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!