South Africa Frugal Travel Guide

Category Africa
Pretoria, South Africa skyline.
This scenic country contains many beautiful parks and wildlife reserves.This page includes photos and information about travel in South Africa.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

During our summer break, we went to Montecasino Bird Gardens. At the entrance, we could buy a little bowl of nectar, and then walk through several aviaries.

In one of the aviaries we came across beautiful lorikeets. This little fellow was very cheeky. When we didn't hand over the nectar quick enough to his liking, he tried to bite my friend's finger, and then settled down to help himself to the nectar.

By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng

A lorikeet at the Montecasino Bird Gardens, South Africa.

Comment Like this photo? 16

What a pretty "rainbow bird". GG Vi

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you! :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

It is our summer break here in South Africa, and we visited "Mystic Monkeys and Feathers", a small zoo next to Tsukudu Lodge. The zoo has all kinds of exotic monkeys and birds on display, but the highlight was the three small lion cubs. We were able to go into their cage, pick them up, and play with them. They reminded me of little teddy bears, oh, so cuddly. It is hard to think of them as the King of the Jungle when they are so small!

By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng

Lion cub.

Comment Like this photo? 4
Anonymous

Adorable! :-)

Reply Like this photo? Yes

That is amazing! I would love to be able to cuddle a little baby lion - how precious! Thank you so much for sharing and have a wonderful summer break - funny to type since it's December and kinda chilly here. :) Beautiful little guy, too - just absolutely adorable! Thank you so much for sharing and God bless!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Thank you, and God bless you too!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I took this photo of the three Hermann's tortoises during a visit to the Monte Casino Bird Park.

Comment Like this photo? 11

I took this photo one late afternoon from our backyard porch. We stay close to the mountains, and we always have sunsets that makes one appreciate nature at its best.

By BessieBessie from Pretoria, South Africa

A gorgeous sunset in Pretoria, South Africa

Comment Like this photo? 12

Beautiful!

Reply Like this photo? Yes

I took my mom for tea today. We again went to the Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary, as it is very peaceful to sit next to the waterside. We had a lovely time. It is always good to make time to bond with your mom again!

By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng

Red trees reflected in calm pond

Comment Like this photo? 9

Nice capture of water reflection. Someone asked me when was the best time to get a reflection picture and the answer is when the water is still.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Photo Description
On a recent weekend break, we went to the Garden of Eden in Knysna. Walking though this forest and seeing these age-old trees just made me realize again how insignificant we are as humans. Some of these trees have been there long before I was born, and most of them will still be there for many more generations to come. Just made me appreciate the fact that every day is a gracious gift from God.

Photo Location
Garden of Eden, Knysna

Photo Source
Benetta Strydom

Comment Like this photo? 10

Finally, after a particularly harsh winter, spring is in the air! We went to the Safari Garden Centre today to buy some seeds in preparation for our summer garden. What a total bliss to see some color again.

Closeup of Large Purple Spring Flower

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Never before had our clivas grown with such abundance! Our garden was showered in huge patches of orange. The clivias in this photo grew beneath our huge pine tree and it was such a blessing every morning to walk past this beautiful sight on the way to work.

bright orange flowers under a pine tree

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 6