Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

Category Health
A dog sitting in front of a bowl of water.
Some dogs get small mineral masses in their bladder from their food. Other dogs are susceptible to these because of their breed. This guide is about preventing canine bladder stones.

If your dog or cat has blood in its urine or pain during urination or frequent urination, go to the vet immediately. If your pet gets bladder stones, it may require surgery. Some pets get this from their diet, others are susceptible by breed.

Always be sure your pet has access to water and frequent chances to urinate.

Source: www.2ndchance.info/calculi.htm

By Missy from Lacey, WA

Does anybody have a recipe for homemade dog food for reoccurring bladder stones. I would also love to know about treats.

By Hollye from Knoxville, TN

I had a Springer which had crystals. Sorry but I'm French so I don't know if it is the same thing. I had brought him to the vet 3 times in less than a year and it was costing me $100.00 every time. The last time the vet told me that he had to make some tests on my dog and it would cost me around $300.00, that was many years ago.

Around 10 years ago, I didn't have any money to pay for the tests and the vet had told me that he wasn't sure he could cure him. At the time I was selling Noni Juice and it was good for a lot of health problems. I took a chance and put my dog on it, which at the time could not urinate and was in pain. It was that or I had to euthanize him. I gave him one once in the morning and one at night. After 2 days my dog was urinating. I kept him on it for at least 4 months and for 2 months I was giving him 1 once per day. It gives the pets energy you wouldn't believe. I had my dog for another 4 years. When he died he was 14 years old and never had any problems with crystals again. That juice is miraculous. I have save so many animals with it that I believe more in that juice than medication.

Even if your pet is on medication you can give it to him. In Canada, because I still use it, it is $60.00 a bottle. You have a different brand. Costco sells its bottle at $18.00. I would not drink it. But I started my ferret a couple of weeks ago on it. He was sleeping all the time and he was losing his hair on the tail and back legs. He had problem walking with his hind legs. I started him on Noni juice and after one week he was playing with the other ferrets and his fur was much softer. After a visit to the vet we found out that he had adrenal gland tumor. He got a shot of one (I can't remember the name of the medication) a month ago and this week he is going to have his second. If everything works well with this one next month he will get an implant which will last for a year.

I am still giving him Noni juice every day. Buddy is 6 1/2 years old. I know he is considered old, but if I can give him another year I will. He is responding very well to the medication right now. I hope that the shots he'll get this week will work well. But I am sure that the Noni juice is helping. The Noni juice I am taking morning and night on the bottle you can see a man with a horn. Here I buy it from a private who sells it. You cannot buy in a store. I think it is much stronger that the one at Costco. This is the one which my dog was on. You can go and have a look on the internet. It is called Morinda Noni Juice. You will see the bottle I am talking about. Hope this will help you.

P.S. I even saved my cat which had depression problems. She was not eating and had lost a lot of weight. When I brought her to the vet, she told me that my cat was in a depression and that she had to eat. If a cat does not eat for 3 days there is a big chance that she will die. I tried the food the vet gave me. She would not eat. When she started to vomit I knew she was going to die. The color of her skin was yellow, orange. I started her on Noni juice and tuna that we buy for ourselves in a can.

She was my son's cat. He was around 19 years old at the time and the cat is in love with him. He didn't go out with his friends and stayed home with her because the vet said that she needed people that she cared around her all the time. Well believe it or not she started eating and I was talking with the vet on the phone all the time. Coquine, the cat, is still alive and with us today and is still very much in love with my son. I have never seen this in my life. She follows him everywhere and when he goes to work she waits for him by the door. Sylvie

Like castorwind mentioned, put your dog on a good quality of food. It is important.

If the bladder stones keep coming back I am positive that it could be something in the food that does it. I remember I switch my dog's food. At the time he was on Ol Roy which you buy at Walmart. I don't remember on which brand I put him on.

There is a recipe for dogs with calcium oxalate stones; I do not know how to find it. Any suggestions?

By Diana from Las Vegas

I have an 8 year old Pekingese that had oxalate stones removed just a couple of weeks ago. He also had them about 4 years ago. I have been feeding him boiled chicken or turkey along with some veggies (carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower). Do you have any other suggestions for preventing the stones? Thank you!

Pam

Answers:

Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

There are different types of bladder stones. Some you want to acidify the urine (struvite stones), and others that you can't do much about (oxalate) other than flushing the bladder when small stones form and not feeding any extra calcium. Best to ask your vet what kinds of stones your dog had and what is the best diet. (06/25/2008)

By junebug_000

Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

Oxalate is a type of calcium. Broccoli for one has calcium in it. So do the carrots and peas. Is there some reason you are giving him people food instead of dog food? Dog foods avoid these types of foods for this very reason. (10/22/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

If it were me, I would drizzle 1 tablespoon of Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar on the pooch's food at every meal. (10/22/2008)

By castorswind

Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

Go to a good quality dog food, as people food is not meant for dogs. Have your vet identify what caused the stones, and do an urinalysis on your dog to be sure the urine is not high in the mineral or whatever the stones were made of. They can tell if the urine is in the proper "range" to avoid stones from reforming. (10/22/2008)

Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

It is a fallacy that 'people food' is not meant for dogs, although I am sure you have researched that. That story line was invented by the fledgling dog food industry at the turn of the 20th century. It is true, however, that you don't want to give them people food that is not even fit for people (cookies, chips, any processed foods). Dogs should eat whole foods, not processed. The dog food industry is one of the major causes of poor pet health in America.

To prevent, avoid purine high foods such as organ meats, game meats, brewer's yeast. Do a 'google' search for high purine foods.

Contrary to a posting above oxalate is NOT a type of calcium, however calcium oxalate (CaC2O4, with C2O4 being the oxalate), obviously is a compound with both calcium and oxalate. You can do a very thorough search very quickly tying in oxalate and find all foods (and plants in general) that contain oxalate (rhubarb, spinach, chocolate, kidney beans, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, soy, philodendron which is a house plant).

The probiotic acidophilus is said to be oxalate destroying, however too much oxalate can kill of the lactobacillus acidophilus (the kind of bacteria found in yogurt). (12/18/2008)

By Heidi

Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

Never just feed your dog meat and vegetables. They need other nutrients in their diet. You will have to supplement with vitamins and other things to keep them healthy. (01/10/2010)

By ahastings7878

Does anyone know a recipe for a dog that is prone to bladder stones?

Anne J. from Innisfail, Australia

Answers:

Preventing Canine Bladder Stones

There are different types of bladder stones. Some you want to acidify the urine (struvite stones) and other that you can't do much about (oxalate) other than flushing the bladder when small stones form and not feeding any extra calcium. Best to ask your vet what kinds of stones your dog had and what is the best diet. (06/25/2008)

By junebug_000