Preventing Canned Green Beans from Getting Mushy

Category Canning
Green beans from a can against a white background
After you have spent hours canning your garden produce it is very disappointing to find that the green beans are mushy. This is a guide about preventing canned green beans from getting mushy.

I canned green beans and when we ate them they were mushy. How can I prevent them from becoming mush?

By Deborah

Best Answer

I just put mine in the hot jars after they are snapped and washed and add some salt and hot boiling water and process in the pressure canner. All veggies must be pressure canned if no acid is added. I always have home canned green beans year around and have never had them come out mushy. Cooking time perhaps....?

How do you can your green beans? I use a vinegar, sugar, and salt brine to can my green beans. It's very simple, break and wash 2 gallons of green beans. Put them in a pot and bring to a boil. When the beans come to a boil, add 1 1/3 Cups white vinegar, 3/4 cup white sugar, and a scant 1/2 cup salt(not quite a half cup). Let this boil for 30 minutes. Pack beans in hot jars and top with hot lids and rings. Let set and they will seal, no need for a water bath. When you're ready to eat them, pour the brine off and rinse the beans good. Put them in a pot, add a quart of water, and season as you like. Hope this will work for you.

Hugs, Paula

Thank you both. I pickled green beans as well and they came out perfect. My canned green beans I blanched first per instructions. Now I know I don't have to blanch them first.