Preventing Cats From Scratching Furniture

I hope you can use this tip. It has saved me a lot of headaches and my couch. My cat insists on using the end of my couch for a scratching post, especially when I am on the computer. I swear she does it on purpose. She has all kinds of scratching pads and other posts and she knows she will get my attention if she goes after my couch.

My mother raised me with this thought and I quote, "there are no problems, only solutions." Well ok, I had tried everything I could purchase, I tried spraying her with a misty water spray. Well she ran all right and got inside the bedroom door, then she peeked around the corner as soon as I turned my back and here she came again.

Voila! I came up with a solution (ha, you thought I would never get to the point, huh?). So here it is. I had an old sheet and cut it to fit the end of the couch which already had two flat scratching pads which she chose to ignore.

I laid the square of sheeting on the floor; I had already hemmed it and marked where the corner came to. Then I laid the two scratching pads on the material, drew out my hot glue gun and pointed it at the material. I raised the pads, shot the material with the glue, slapped the two pads on top of the glue and let it set for about twenty minutes. Then I got out my handy upholstery needle and sewed the material to the ends of my couch. It is very sturdy. It took her one day to use it. So in the meantime all is well. Well, so far anyway. I wonder what her next line of attack is going to be.

You know I got her from a shelter and they said she had been there seven years. She is all black and you know some people don't like black cats, but I think it was her ornery disposition that kept her there. When I walked into the shelter, she saw sucker written all over my forehead (I swear I think she can read). But that's ok, I have had her for three years and she is so lucky. I love her. After reading this, you might think this lady needs to get a life. You know I've tried, but no one will let me have theirs. Best to all.

By letageraldine from Tucson, AZ

Great idea. I need to do something because my cats are re-learning old bad habits and I will NOT buy new furniture until they stop. I must scream 'sucker' from my rooftop because all of the starving, abused, or just abandoned cats show up at my door!

Thanks for the tip! =^^= (04/20/2010)

By mbnorton59

What has worked best for me over the years of many rescues is simply a good old fashioned jet stream of water from a spray bottle (no words spoken so they won't associate it with you). ;-) They don't like that one little bit and it cures them in less than a dozen squirts.

Also, when you do see them using their scratching post, give them lots of sweet pets of love and softly spoken words. (04/20/2010)

By Deeli

You are a very few who would take an animal that had been there so long. What a life she has had and has now. I applaud you. Everyone should have a soul. (04/22/2010)

Love your outlook on life. I agree with you on cats being able to read. They certainly know how to read a human being, especially black cats. I have one and you can see the wheels turning in his head. I wouldn't give him up for the world! (04/22/2010)

By jagegr

Preventing Cats from Scratching Furniture, Kitten with front paws dangling over the front of the couch.
Preventing Cats from Scratching Furniture
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
cat on a wicker chair
Repairing Cat Scratches on Wicker Furniture
A cat outside scratching the door.
Keeping Cats from Scratching Doors