Preventing Clumping Mascara

Category Eyes
Close up of a woman's eye with thick mascara on the lashes
Having your mascara appear clumpy on your lashes ruins the look of your makeup. This is a guide about preventing clumping mascara.

Has your tube of mascara dried out prematurely or would you like to extend it?
Add a few drops of Visine to the bottle! It's safe for eyes and adds moisture, but doesn't mess with the formula!

If your mascara is clumpy on your lashes (perhaps after reapplying for an evening out?) soak the brush in the eye drops or contact lens solution and pull it through your lashes. It pulls off the loose product from your lashes and looks much more natural!

Source: Glamour Magazine 2016

How can I keep my mascara from clumping?

By Victoria from Wilmington, NC

I've started dating all my makeup products. I keep some little stickers handy (like the little rounds ones used for pricing at your garage sale). Whenever I open a new item, it's gets a dated sticker. Really helps in keeping on top of how old my makeup is.

Anonymous

If it's clumping it's too old and is stale and for eye health safety it's best to throw it away and purchase a new tube. Some people might tell you to simply add a little bit of water or mineral oil or whatever to it but old and stale is old and stale and not worth risking using anymore.

I agree with the advice about old mascara, but I'm not sure if you're talking about actually getting clumps when you apply mascara. Some brands say don't let dry between coats of mascara; I've found I have to experiment. Sometimes it's better to let your mascara dry between coats to prevent clumping.

Also, I use an old mascara wand and wash it with soap and water and get all the old mascara off of it. I then use it to run through wet mascara to get rid of clumps. Please don't ever use a pin to separate your eyelashes! An new soft toothbrush will sometimes work. Try a child size toothbrush for easier handling. Hope this helps.

You can also try to run the outside of the mascara tube under hot running water to help thin out mascara. But never add water to the inside of the mascara tube because bacteria will grow in the tube.

Good luck!

If your mascara clumps or globs when you apply it, try this: After your first application, or if you like the "thick" look, second application, wipe off the brush with tissue removing as much of the mascara as you can and "comb" your lashes! This works so much better than the mascara comb and brush combo.

Please remember to throw away your mascara after 3 months.

By Laurie from Pahrump, NV

Answers:

Clumping Mascara

Good idea. I use an old tooth brush to separate my lashes. Give that a try! (09/14/2006)

By bjptl

Clumping Mascara

I like mine thick, but when I find myself having to brush the chunks off my lashes; it tells me that it is over or close to 6months old and needs to get trashed. (09/16/2006)

By Dozersmom

Clumping Mascara

Mascara should be renewed every 3 months. Sometimes mine doesn't even last me 3 months. Mascara carries bacteria especially when you expose it to air by pushing the wand up and down in the bottle! Max Factor Masterpiece is the best for volume and if you want to add some high definition to your lashes add a coat of Loreal Telescopic. It always make the most of your eyelashes. Always remove your eye make up properly before reapplying more the next day. Heated eye lash curlers are terrible for you eyelashes too, so I wouldn't recommend them at all (02/03/2007)

By Suzanne