Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
No one was in the kitchen and I heard a loud noise, so I went to see what had happened. I saw nothing in the kitchen and checked the garage, nothing. I was surprised when I opened that cupboard door 2 days later and saw all the glass on the shelf floor.
I took pictures and saved all the glass and emailed the company. I ended up having to call them after 3 weeks. But they asked me to send them the glass and they replaced the bowl and sent a nice set of drinking glasses as a gift, plus sent a check for the postage also.
This last week I saw on the news that several people have had glass bowls shatter in their microwave ovens. Mine were Anchor Hocking made in the U.S.A. I was pleased to get the bowl replaced and thought the glass set was a nice good-will gesture. If the bowl had shattered while I was using it in the microwave I might not have been as happy.
Pyrex, I believe is now made in China and was the other "microwave safe " bowls and measuring cups that shattered during use, as noted on the news. Here are the pictures. Please be careful.
By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA
Exploding glass! My daughter and I just finished cleaning up large shards of glass in the kitchen. She did not know that a glass pie plate was so close to the electric burner and it exploded. Thank God, she had bent down to do something, or she could have had facial cuts or cut her eyes. Even though the glass will withstand heat from the oven, it is no match for direct heat from a burner. Please warn folks to always keep glass off the burners, because it can and will explode.
By jwrh626 from Columbus, OH
I often have to pour hot or boiling liquids into glass jars, such as this bacon grease). Unless the glass is tempered, it will shatter. Someone told me that if you stick a metal utensil in the jar, somehow by magic it prevents the glass from breaking!
I have tried it with every kind of boiling thing possible, and I dare say it works. I'm not sure why it works, but all I know is that the fork/knife/etc gets very hot to the touch, so maybe it sucks up some of the heat.