Preventing Inappropriate Cat Scratching

How can I stop my cats from more clawing door frames and elsewhere? They have scratching posts, but they started this behavior while I was on a three week trip and the cats had cat sitters. It was probably a protest at my being gone, but it's a habit now. I do trim their nails when I can. De-clawing is not an option. Help.

By Cateyes from Lake County, OH

Answers:

Preventing Inappropriate Cat Scratching

I stopped this by putting some Vaseline in those areas. The cats don't like the way it feels on their paws. (01/15/2010)

By deebomb

Preventing Inappropriate Cat Scratching

I have tried several methods to stop this behavior. The most effective has been Comfort Zone spray with feliway. It is a "happy cat" pheromone. Cats will not "mark", spray, or scratch where you spray it. It has no odor and does not mark what you spray it on. It worked like a charm (I was a skeptic). I have also used the sticky strips sold in pet shops for the ends of my sofa. They worked, too. They haven't touched the new sofa. I have also heard cheap cologne works, but I haven't tried that yet. Good luck. (01/15/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Preventing Inappropriate Cat Scratching

Cats dislike orange peels if you leave some orange peels around the item, the cat will soon learn to stay away. (01/17/2010)

By rachel4ever

Preventing Inappropriate Cat Scratching

A employee at Petsmart told me to get the catnip spray they sell and spray it every two weeks on the areas we wanted her to scratch, like kitty condo, scratching posts, etc. He had many cats and was a foster dad to rescued cats so I figured he knew what he was talking about. Our baby was 7 years old when we adopted her and died last year of cancer at age 16. She never once scratched any of the furniture. I also sprayed her toys which she loved dearly. (02/14/2010)

By Helena C

Cat climbing post next to wood
Cat Scratching Woodwork
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Scratching Its Neck
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Preventing Cats from Scratching Furniture, Kitten with front paws dangling over the front of the couch.
Preventing Cats from Scratching Furniture
🎄