Preventing Lizards from Getting in Your House

Category Reptiles
Geen gecko on the upper corner of a wooden doorframe against a white wall
If you live in an area where lizards are common, it can be difficult to keep them out of your house. This is a guide about preventing lizards from getting in your house.

Lizards are harmless creatures, but can be unsettling in your home or garden. This guide contains natural repellents for lizards.

Natural Repellents for Lizards

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I really get rid of house lizards? You know it's really annoying me and distracting me from my regular work. They unexpectedly fall from the ceiling or from the wall and run under the feet here and there, creating a lot of disturbance. Can we get rid of this pressure? Is there any answer other than feeding a cat in the house? Thanks.

By Hariprasad from south India

Answers:

Preventing Lizards from Getting in House

Hey, in south India you want the lizards in your house they are your friends! They eat the mozzies (and other bugs) although I do understand the pooh they leave behind is not very nice, but I find this a small price to pay. I would be more worried about the very large spiders and snakes! Learn to love the lizards/geckos! (05/28/2010)

By meshelle

I agree with Meshelle, but if you have dozens of them perhaps you could try catching them and putting them back outdoors. If you have screens on all your windows and screen doors on all of your exterior doors that will greatly help keep them from coming in. (05/28/2010)

By Deeli

They will eat cockroaches and fight the bigger ones so I personally would rather have lizards any day vs roaches.

If they have nothing to eat, then they leave. Think of it that way. (05/28/2010)

By HSLINKS

I have lizards in NC. I can tolerate them outside, but when they started coming in the house I bought those plug-in pest controls. The supposedly emit a high pitched tone that gets rid of pests (even mice). I haven't seen any lizards in the house since I bought them, so I think they're working well. Good luck! (06/04/2010)

By Deyi

I am facing a problem with lizards in my home. I keep some empty eggs also, but there is no result.

Surendra

Answers:

My cats would love to come to your house! (04/28/2010)

By chretienne

How can I get a lizard out of the house?

By ndel29

Answers:

LOL. You're trying to get one out of the house and I usually beg them to come in! I like having them come in because they take care of the other critters that get in that aren't as welcome! (07/22/2009)

By Cricketnc

Cricketnc is right. Lizards are after other bugs. They are afraid of people, so shouldn't bother you. (07/24/2009)

By mulberry204

I hate lizards more than any other creepy crawly. This is what I have done. Checked roof outside, sealed all gaps and holes near roof with cement. Checked inside and sealed every tiny gap in ceiling board, around doors, windows and every crevice with silicone. Check very carefully, it is amazing how many tiny holes there are in our homes.

I used thick sticky rubber strips all around doors and windows. All windows are fly screen, check carefully for those tiny gaps in installation. I have also trimmed off all trees, shrubs which touch the walls of the house. I have moved lights so they stand on poles in the garden and not on the walls of the house. I put egg shells crushed everywhere, but saw one sitting on them, so it appears they are not scared of them. I have also sprinkled borac powder on top of the boundary walls to prevent them coming in from neighbor's yard.

The birds and pets are safe as the wall is glass topped and birds do not sit on it. Let us see if this works. Let's see the result. (07/24/2009)

By guddo

Right up there with frogs. They love bugs, great bug catchers. (07/24/2009)

By c t

When I lived in Thailand, it was common to have a lizard fall on the bed from the ceiling. We realized that they scuttled in through the spirit threshold (all thresholds are raised one inch to keep spirits out, and each house has a spirit house out front for them to stay in). We finally got fly paper and the lizards started looking for other guests. (07/24/2009)

By damaged05170

Thumbs up to cricketnc. We live in South FL, and when I'm seeing little lizards now and then in the house, I'm not seeing palmetto bugs comin' for a visit (or ants, or anything else). I'll take those lizards anytime! (07/24/2009)

By PupperMom

Where can I purchase the electric lizard repellent?

Zubair

Answers:

Where can I purchase the electronic device that is mentioned by "Help" I've searched online and have only come up with ultrasonic repellents that drive away bugs, not lizards. I, too, am bothered by pesky lizards that end up dying in my home. I live in FL so they are everywhere. Thank you. (07/25/2008)

By cmonet

I live in Sri Lanka, so I see these lizards all the time, everywhere, and they get kind of annoying. I see them running on my dining table and in the dust bin. They don't look too clean either and they do spread diseases. They are poisonous if they get into your food. But some my mates have cats and they say that they catch the lizards, and after having the cat for a while they haven't seen any lizards or cockroaches in their houses. I know that its hard to maintain a pet for some. Lizards shouldn't be the only reason to get cats, but if you were thinking of getting one this is definitely a plus point. I hope this helps. (10/23/2008)

By Ditto

Egg shells keep lizards away. Make an art with egg shells, hang it on the wall and you will see the results in few days.

Steps to make the art -

• Clean the egg shells nicely and dry them for a day or two.
  • Crumple them to small pieces (size of a dime).
  • Take a cardboard, and draw a fish or bird.
  • Apply glue and stick the egg shells close to each other.
  • Paint the picture. You have a lizard repellent.
(11/06/2008)

By Jan

I think this white chalk, which is made in India, is actually boric acid here in the US. Boric Acid will keep roaches away. It is a white powder, so why don't you try that. Buy it at any drug store and the price has gone up in the last five years. (12/04/2008)

By Texasgirl

One got in to my sink this morning and was not able to come out. Don't know where it came from. I hate lizards. I opened the taps and thought it'll run away. It couldn't, it got wet and sluggish. Finally my husband picked it up in a trash collector with the help of a broom and threw it out. Wow. What a relief! And yes, I have laxman rekha (that white chalk mentioned above)! Don't know if they worked against lizards. (03/02/2009)

By Nidhi

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.