Preventing Weeds When Planting Your Garden

Category Weeds
When planting a new garden, keeping the weeds out can be frustrating. Luckily there are some easy ways to prevent weeds taking a hold. This is a guide about preventing weeds when planting your garden.

A great and easy way to get rid of weeds in your garden. After you have prepared your soil and have planted your lovely plants, take all your newspapers and lay them on top of the soil. Piece them together all around your plants. (Only use the black and white print not the colored ads.) Next dampen the paper with the water hose, then scatter your mulch on top. Not only will this kill the weeds but the paper will biodegrade and help your plants. I have done this process with out weeding my garden for weeks! Happy planting!

By Linda from Bossier City, LA

I believe roaches love anything. The mulch would also be a breeding ground for them. If you've got 'em, you've got'em...you know? Besides, wouldn't the newpaper be soggy/messy quickly from the water? I wonder how long that would last, anyway. Just a thought!

When I plan a new garden bed or clean up an existing garden bed in the spring or fall, I pull or hoe to remove weeds then plant my flowers or vegetables, leaving proper spacing between the plants. Next, I lay 6 to 8 sheets of black/white newspaper on top of soil around my flowers as a weed blocker, After laying it, wet the newspaper to keep in place. I lay my mulch of grass clippings or shredded leaves on top of the newspaper, then I lay pinestraw on top for a formal touch. Wet the mulch to keep it in place.

This keeps your garden weed free for a few months and is eye-appealing, plus you are recycling the newspaper (which breaks down into mulch and is beneficial to your soil.)

By Linda from Fort Walton Beach, FL

Don't re-use Bermuda grass! It will take root and is pernicious.

Use old pieces of carpet in the pathways of your garden. Cover it with mulch, it makes the best weed block ever and lasts a long time. Not to mention, it's free!

By CoCo from Neptune Beach, FL

What can I do when preparing my garden for planting, to prevent weeds?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

By Bobby from Demossville, KY

Do you want to make a raised bed garden? If so search for"How to make a raised bed garden". There's lot of info online. If not you need to spray the spot with a weed killer. Get more info from your county agent, good luck.

Cornmeal is a great germination inhibitor but I wouldn't use it in the garden since you want your seeds to germinate. It is great where you don't want seeds to germinate. I use it a lot to keep the weeds down. Pat

I spray the area for a new/fresh garden with Round-Up about 2-3 weeks before I plant. Added top soil, maure and peat. Raked it smooth. Last year I laid out s biodgradable week blocker over the bare ground then added shredded mulch. Then I planted all my flowers. Very few weeds came up this sring.