Preventing and Cleaning Toilet Rings

Getting toilets clean can be a challenge. A ring around the bowl is unsightly and is sometimes tough to get rid of. This is a guide about cleaning and preventing toiletbowl rings.

November 29, 2011 Flag

I finally figured it out! It's all about the technique. The 3 things you need are:

1. a toilet bowl brush
  2. a decent cleaner in a spray bottle (the Works, Kaboom, CLR, or any similar)
  3. a bucket (most important!)

Here goes:

First, pour just enough water from the bucket into bowl to get it to flush (I use an empty 33.9 oz. plastic Folgers container, poured as quickly as possible). The water level in the bowl will now stay in the bottom of the bowl, and this eliminates the need to turn off water supply (which can be a hassle). Spray all around ring with cleaner.

Now go clean the tub, sweep floor, empty trash, get coffee, or whatever. Come back to the toilet ring in 30 minutes or so, and scrub ring with brush. Part of ring will probably be gone...maybe all. A stubborn ring will be lighter. Flush. Repeat as many times as needed. I had a stubborn ring that I'd tried everything on. It took 4 times to get ring completely gone.

Now I keep cleaner, brush, bucket nearby. Once in awhile before bed I'll pour bucket, spray ring, and go to bed. Rings don't stand a chance!

By Rob S. from Fairborn, OH

I do something similar, but use less toxic chemicals (and less steps). I simply pour plain white vinegar into my toilet. About a cup will do. I swish it around a bit with the brush and let it sit for 1/2 hour. Then all I have to do is swish it once more and flush. Clean, shiny bowl is left.

Wow, I saw a friend do this and didn't understand the concept. TY!

November 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about "Where can I buy a pumice stone?". Pumice stones can be used for a number of cleaning jobs.

Photo of a pumice stone.

November 8, 2011 Flag

Buy wet and dry sandpaper; not the fine. The one that is just below the heavy grit. Wet it in toilet, and sand away. It will not hurt toilet as long as water in there. This is wonderful for under the rim also.

December 17, 2010 Flag

I have an emergency. We have relatives coming soon. I need to clean a 19 year old ring out of the toilet now. I have used Comet, but it is doing nothing.

By mysterykid

The toilet cleaner " The Works " has removed stains from my toilets better than anything else I have tried.

That stuff is amazing. I think Walmart carries it or the Dollar store.

FYI - both muriatic acid and spirit of salts are old names for hydrochloric acid. If this works so well, I would assume that the ring is hard water deposits and the vinegar solution would be the thing to try first. I'm going to go try it now!

November 5, 2011 Flag

How do you get rid of a toilet bowl ring that has been there for years? It was there when we bought the lake house 7 years ago. I don't want to change out the toilet bowl, but I can not stand the ring in the bowl.

By ShirleyBH

Use a wet pumice stone. You can find them in hardware stores and grocery stores. Works great!

I use a Pumice Stone and Comet to get any and all stains out of the bowl. I have not had a Pumice Stone scratch my bowl.

August 13, 2009 Flag

After trying 3 products and a whole night of white vinegar, my copper colored stains prevailed. I spent $1.59 on THE WORKS toilet bowl cleaner, sprayed it on the stains and literally they disappeared.

July 5, 2009 Flag

Use a pumice stone (similar to the ones women use for feet) they have them made for cleaning purposes. They work great but you have to make sure the toilet surface and stone are wet before you use or you will scratch the bowl.

June 15, 2008 Flag

Try swishing your toilet every day with a toilet brush. As part of your shower routine. reach over and swish the toilet brush around. It is amazing how little time it takes and how well the bowl looks every day from it.

May 23, 2012 Flag

We have two toilets in the house. The first one on the line is a standard toilet made by Kohler (very recently installed). The second is an American Standard and is several years old. The Kohler has a ring at the water line that we have yet to get it clean, but the second one, there is no ring. What gives?

By Burney M.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have used Bar Keepers Friend (powder cleanser) or Pumice Stone. I buy both from Wal Mart. With the cleanser make sure you buy the powder and not the liguid. With the Pumice Stone make sure you keep it wet while you are scrubbing or it can scratch your toilet. Last but, not least vinegar is great too. Soak paper towels with the vinegar lay on top of the ring close lid and let sit as long as possible. Like 4 hours and the ring should brush off.

Warning! Don't use vinegar and Bar Keepers Friend together on Chrome, it will discolor horribly.

I can only imagine that what's going on with your two toilets is the same thing people complain daily about: The quality of products produced are sub-standard to those manufactured several years ago.

About that ring: The only thing that has ever helped me is to pour a can of Coke or Pepsi down into the toilet. Wait about 20 minutes and hit it with the toilet brush and mild detergent. Mine come clean every time. Good Luck!

July 2, 2009 Flag

How do I clean hard water toilet rings?

By pmancebo

Wow. After trying 3 products and a whole night of white vinegar, my copper colored stains prevailed. I spent $1.59 on THE WORKS toilet bowl cleaner, sprayed it on the stains and literally they disappeared and became as white as my pumice stone which I did not have to use. Wow!

December 17, 2010 Flag

I have a light ring around my toilet bowl. I could use Clorox, but hear it is harmful for septic tanks. What could I use? I tried Ajax type stuff. The other part of the bowl is clean and remains that way with cleaning. But, this ring has been there for a few months and I would like to get it off.

By Cynda from MO

Answers:

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

You could try putting a bit of Comet on a cloth and scrub lightly, this just might remove the ring! (10/18/2010)

By linn.2009

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

Try using a pumice stone. I had an old ring in our less-used toilet. I tried various cleaners with no success. Then I saw the women from that cleaning show (How Clean is Your House? It's from the UK.) easily remove a ring from a nasty toilet. It seems like it'd scratch the porcelain, but the porcelain is actually harder than the pumice. Just wet the stone, and rub on the ring. Voila! And no chemicals. Even better!

My mom lives in the country and was complaining to me about the ring in one of their toilets. I told her about the pumice stone, and she was so happy when she tried and it worked. And I was thrilled to give my mom some good cleaning advice. :-) (10/18/2010)

By mrs.story

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

You could shut off the water to the toilet tank. Then flush the toilet. That will clean out the water from the toilet. Then get a non scatch pad from your grocery store. Clean with any cleaner and wipe dry. That way nothing goes down the toilet to the septic tank. (10/18/2010)

By foxrun41

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

I didn't have luck with the pumice stone, just seemed to scratch the toilet bowl. I put toilet paper on the ring and soaked with vinegar, it helped, but didn't completely remove it. I am going to soak again and scrub with a stiff brush. (10/20/2010)

By HalfWhit

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

First, turn off the water at the toilet. Next line paper towels around the bowl. Then pour gently (or spray) Coke until the paper towels are saturated. Leave this on the entire night. In the morning, pull off the paper towels and toss them away. Scrub the bowl with a brush or pad. (10/20/2010)

By Barb1950

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

I remove the water from the bowl by pouring a couple buckets of water in it. That gets it to a manageable level so you can work on it. It has been my experience that the ring is lime so I have used "Lime Away" on it and I have also used Barkeeper's friend". They both work. (10/21/2010)

By Laniegirl

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

Whink Rust Stain Remover worked for me. I first tried Kaboom and Scrubbing Bubbles foaming cleansers. No luck. Then I tried Lime Away and CLR, flushing between cleansers. They helped, but I still had a ring. Then I tried Whink Rust Stain Remover. Bingo! Voila! I rubbed with a scrubber sponge and the ring completely disappeared without a trace. It looks like new.

Years ago we had a housekeeper who used a pumice stone on bad rings. I was about to go buy one when I tried the Whink Rust Stain Remover. (11/27/2010)

By StainMeister

October 18, 2010 Flag

What causes a red ring in the toilet and how do you get it out?

By Linda from McKinney, TX

Answers:

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

I think it's a combination of hard water deposits and then the red mold grows on it and becomes embedded in it. I get it too.

Two things worked for me:

I use the disposable toilet wands that are roundish and click into the end of the toilet wand. I cannot for the life of me remember the name, but they're made by Clorox.

Before I used The Works, the Clorox wand wouldn't always work in both commodes. So after flushing away the Clorox solution and rinsing the wand really, really well, I used Barkeeper's Friend, scrubbed with the wand, and it went away completely, fast too, minimal scrubbing.

Good luck! (07/25/2010)

By metroplex

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

If your ring is a calcium/hard water deposit it won't scrub off easily. It will come off with a pumice stone which is basically a hunk of pumice in a rectangular shape. Scratch off the ring with the pumice stone and some water. Most hardware stores have them with the cleaning supplies. They will not scratch a porcelain toilet bowl. (07/28/2010)

By Lizzyanny

Cleaning Ring Out of Toilet

Two or more denture cleaning tablets, let sit, brush, flush, and repeat as necessary.

Pat in Phoenix (07/29/2010)

By desertgal

July 24, 2010 Flag

How do I get rid of the stains in my toilet bowl? When I clean the bowl, there is a ring left behind that just doesn't want to go away.

June 24, 2010 Flag

How do I remove the ring in the toilet? We have well water so our water is hard plus we have lime in our water.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomAugust 2, 2011
Cleaning the Toilet, Woman with Blue Gloves Scrubbing Her Toilet
Cleaning a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎉
🎄