Printing Roses Using Celery Stalks

Category Miscellaneous
Printing Roses Using Celery Stalks
The cross-section cut edge of a bunch of celery can be used to print a beautiful rose pattern on your next craft project. This is a guide about printing roses using celery stalks.

This is a project that can be done by all ages! It all begins with a stalk of celery.

Total Time: up to 1 hr

Link: http://www.bargaingardencottagedesign.com

• 1 celery ($1.69)
  • 3 craft paints ($2.97)
  • 3 sponge or bristle brushes ($1.00)
  • 1 scrap paper to check the print ($0)

1. Cut your celery stalk off leaving a base about 3 to 4 inches tall.

2. Choose paint colors that blend well to make flowers. Try 3 to 4 different shades and apply to the cut end of your celery using brushes to add small amounts of paint, alternating colors that look like petals visually.
  3. Use scrap paper to pre-stamp your celery for the look you want before adding to your object. This is done to see if you like a heavy look or a muted look.
  4. Ad
  5. This is a stamping technique done with a veggie and left overs can be eaten after your hard work!

Great idea!

Totally cute!

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!

Cute and a great idea!!!

I love craft painting with stencils and stamps. And not all stamps have to be expensive. I have seen them carved out of erasers, foam rubber, even potatoes. How about celery? If cut near the root end and used as a stamp, celery leaves a surprisingly lovely "rose" imprint- let me show you how!

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: Endless

• 1 bunch of celery per 'rose' desired
  • sharp, un-serrated knife
  • acrylic craft paint
  • sponge brush
  • paper for printing
  • paper towels
  • paper plate

1. Gather all supplies. Wash and dry your celery very well.
  2. Cut your celery near the root end with a smooth knife. Your cut must be neat and parallel to the root end to make a flat stamp. The closer to the root you cut, the closer together your 'petals' will appear.
  3. Ad
  4. Turn your celery cut side down on a paper towel to make sure it drains completely. The stamp must be very dry.
  5. Pour a small amount of paint onto your paper plate. Brush it smooth and fairly thin. Practice makes perfect and you'll learn as you go how much paint gives you the look that you like the most.
  6. Ad
  7. Make sure your celery is dry. Dab it into the layer of paint until the cut end is covered. You can use your foam brush to help even out the paint on your stamp. I find that less paint works the best.
  8. A firm surface under your paper yields the best results. Gently place your stamp on the paper, being careful not to let it slide around. Use slow, firm pressure to stamp; then slowly remove your stamp - viola! A lovely rose print from a humble celery stalk! Enjoy!

Very original!

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! (And it makes me hungry!)

Anonymous

Thank you so much!

I'm SO glad you like it! It's a lot of fun to do (& I ATE the rest!!)

Excellent!!!!

I cut off the end of a celery stalk and it looked like a rose. I had to post it, it was so cute. I didn't know they looked like that! Interesting!

By Stacey Silva from Orem, UT

Thanks for sending that rose. I am going to check it out next time I am doing a display and see if I can work it in somewhere! I LOVE new or a little different ideas. Thanks again. Do you LOVE this site or what?? Mitzi

If you put your celery rose in water and sit it in the kitchen window or sunlight it will grow a little celery frome the center. I have one in my kitchen window. Got the idea from a thriftyfunner.

They have also been used for stamping...just put paint on them and stamp away.

Laine

That's pretty! Who'd have thought a stalk of celery could look like that! Thanks for sharing. God bless you!

That's one beautiful celery rose. Stacey, thanks to you, people will now be roaming the produce aisles looking for vegetables that grow on stalks so thay can put their own spin on your idea. I know it sounds corny, but one of the things I've learned from thriftyfun.com is that there's no such thing as just one idea. As soon as an idea pops up, several more spring from it and they take off in a new direction.

Videos

Don't throw away the end of your celery bunch, use it to create these beautiful painted roses. Learn how to make it in this short video.

This is really nice