Problems Making Fudge

I have made fudge 2 years in a row, and each year I make it I put in the refrigerator like it suggests and it turns out gooey in the pan, not like little squares. Can you help me?

Thank you,

Susan

Answers:

Problems Making Fudge

How are you making fudge? With marshmallow Fluff? If you are making it the old fashion way on days that are high in humidity it must be cooked to a full soft ball stage. A candy thermometer will help. Don't put it in the refrigerator. Cook to soft ball stage, then add nuts if you want to and beat until it gets dull. Have wax paper laid out to drop on or butter a dish to setup in. Hope this helps. (12/08/2004)

By nette27533

Problems Making Fudge

Are using evap milk in a recipe that calls for condensed milk. They are not interchangeable. Use a candy thermometer, and don't make candy on a wet day. Humidity in the air will affect it. (12/08/2004)

By

Problems Making Fudge

I have always used the recipe on the hershey cocoa box with one addition, I add two tablespoons of flour, it always comes out really good. Always sets up, never have to put it in fridge, (12/08/2004)

By Joyce

Problems Making Fudge

I believe that you are not boiling the fudge long enough. A drop of the mixture must make a ball that you can pick up easily from a little cold water before it is ready to take off the stove. Then, it should be beaten until the mixture stuck to the sides of the pan is "setting" before pouring quickly into a buttered dish. (12/08/2004)

By Mary

Problems Making Fudge

I had that problem when I didn't beat the fudge long enough. (12/09/2004)

By Shirl

Problems Making Fudge

Fudge is such fun at Christmas but there are some tricks to remember when making any candies at any time. Don't make candy on a rainy or snowy day because most won't set up. Never add extracts IE vanilla until the very last step. Extracts will make your candy stay soft if you haven't cooked it to the correct stage before adding extract. Let your fudge cool in a cool room rather than in the refrigerator and see if this will help. Often fudge needs to completely cool before refrigerating. Also follow the recipe exactly as it is printed. So many different recipes but these tricks are the big ones I learned years ago and have had good success if I follow them.

Happy holidays (12/10/2004)

By Julie

Problems Making Fudge

I made some fudge at the holidays and followed the recipe almost exactly. I just doubled the recipe and cooked it a little longer because of the added volume... but it came out hard as a brick and as heavy as one. Could I have fixed in in any way by recooking it or melting it and mixing with evaporated milk or marshmallow or a mixture of both? (01/12/2005)

By Cyndie

Problems Making Fudge

I tried to make fudge following a recipe. Now I'm not a candy maker, but I thought that I would try to make simple fudge. Kids are making it all the time so why shouldn't I be able to do the same. After mixing the ingredients as directed, I commenced to begin the boiling of the mixture. I stirred the mixture constantly, and heated it until it reached the candy thermometer temp specified in the recipe. Then I turned off the heat, and continued to stir the mixture. But something was wrong. It wasn't setting up like I expected. I decided to let it cool down some, and then I would try to stir it again. This didn't help at all. The cooler it got - the thichker and harder it got. Soon I had a pot of street repair material. Do you suppose I could patent my technique and then sell it to construction companies so that they could patch and repair the local streets? (05/20/2005)

By Rick

Problems Making Fudge
Easy Fudge Recipes
Easy Fudge Recipes
Peanut butter fudge made with cake frosting and peanut butter.
Cake Frosting Fudge Recipes
Maple Fudge
Maple Fudge Recipes
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
🎉
🎄