Problems Making Fudge

What can I do to get my fudge to get hard on a rainy day?

Nancy from WV

Answers:

Problems Making Fudge

My recipe uses only peanut butter, butter, and confectioners sugar. I can make this during any weather and not have any problems. I found out long ago that whatever kind of candy you're making, the house needs to be cool. The cooler the house the better. (01/03/2007)

By Amy

Problems Making Fudge

I have a few little tricks for making fudge.

I get it all mixed up and start to boiling, then clean something. I come back to it and stir it occasionally. I use the drop test, dropping a little bit of fudge in tap water and if it makes a ball it is nearly ready. I usually let it cook a few more minutes, then remove it from the stove and stir it for a bit.

Personally, I don't want to wear my arm out, so I put some water in the sink and set the pot in it and stir it a minute or so, then find something else to do for a bit and come back to it shortly and stir it some more. When it starts to be grainy, I pour it into a buttered dish and let it sit, out of the fridge and by the time it is completely cooled, it cuts into little squares.

If you want the recipe, let me know. It uses no marshmallow cream and no chocolate chips. Completely home made.

I have a good peanut butter fudge recipe, also.
Tina (01/03/2007)

By trbrown22

Problems Making Fudge

I lived in Arkansas where on any given day the humidity is above 60%. My recipe called for 1 cup of whole milk (only making fudge would I use it). I cut it down to 3/4 cup and it came out perfectly. I have one recipe and it came from my Grandma, Old Fashion Peanut Butter Fudge from a Hershey can in the 50s.

I also had a dehumidifier I used when cooking or it was raining, to keep the inside of my house from "sweating", as we didn't have an air conditioner. I know you'll be getting lots of info on here and these suggestions I posted are what worked for me. I moved to the desert so now I use a humidifier. (01/05/2007)

By SweetCali40

Problems Making Fudge

My sister says when her goodies don't turn out right, no one needs to know. She just makes it into a dessert sauce to serve over ice cream, pound cake, etc. and topped with a dollop of whipped topping and garnish as you please. This way no big waste of money and it all gets eaten up. (06/19/2007)

By badwater

Problems Making Fudge

I work in a fudge shop and your never supposed to put fudge in the refrigerator. (10/02/2007)

By Allison

Problems Making Fudge

I had a similar problem, my fudge wouldn't set correctly and I put it back on the stove, heated it up and added 1/4 tsps of Cream of Tartar, put it back in the pan, set it in the refrigerator and voila, it set just fine. (12/05/2008)

By Judy

Problems Making Fudge
Easy Fudge Recipes
Easy Fudge Recipes
Peanut butter fudge made with cake frosting and peanut butter.
Cake Frosting Fudge Recipes
Maple Fudge
Maple Fudge Recipes
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
🎉
🎄