Products for Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout

I've put down my homemade cleaners because I can't get the grout clean on my ceramic kitchen floor tiles. Can anyone give me the name of a product I can buy that will really work? Thank you so much for any help!

Pattie from Bridgton, ME

Answers:

I used my Scunci steamer on the bathroom floor tiles where I work. It took a long time because the steamer can only use 11 oz of water at a time, but it looked wonderful when it was done. The grout on these tiles was caked with dirt that the steamer just shot up out of there. Then I used an old towel to wipe up the dirt chunks. The best part about it was there were no chemicals involved, just very hot water. If you don't have a steamer I would try to pour heated water on them and then carefully use a nylon bristled brush to scrub the grout. I think you would be surprised how well just the hot water works. (12/13/2007)

By dpcw

My husband just did the back-breaking job of cleaning all the grout on my kitchen and eating area tile floor. First he used a hand-held steamer machine which was time-consuming because it only holds so much water and you have to wait a 1/2 before you can add more water (at least w/the machine I have). That worked pretty good, but in some areas the light colored grout still looked stained/dirty. I tried some Clorox Clean-up spray cleaner on it and then used an old electric toothbrush to brush it and then wipe with an old towel. This method worked very good so I showed hubby. He then went back over all the grout with the spray cleaner and toothbrush and now it looks almost new again. It was hard work, but I'm sure it saved us a lot of money over hiring it done.

Our tile is only 2 yrs old and hubby did put a sealer on it, but what we didn't know is the sealer has to be periodically reapplied and it wears off quickly just when you clean your floor.

I'm not sure if he will go to the trouble of sealing it again and we just might now try to keep the grout cleaner and work on the high traffic areas when we see them getting stained. We especially had bad areas around the kitchen table.

I love my tile and the color of the grout; however if this becomes too much a problem, I'll hire someone to re-color the grout to a dark color and avoid going through this. (12/13/2007)

By Debbie52

I used this method on ceramic bathroom tiles. It was hard work but worth it. Make a paste of toothpaste and bleach and scrub the dirty grouting with this applied on old toothbrushes. The result was excellent. There were some places that didn't respond so those I camouflaged with white latex paint, applied with a child's paintbrush. (12/13/2007)

By Dorianne

I have also tried everything on my white bathroom grout. Finally I applied a paste of plain baking soda and household bleach applied to just the grout, allowed it to dry then scrubbed it off with an old toothbrush. It worked great, better than our Scunci steamer, some areas needed two treatments. (12/13/2007)

By Danielle

We have had your problem and finally after trying many different techniques and products, found one that works. It's called Finazzle Bathroom Grout Cleaner, but it works wonders on ceramic tile. You can get it at finazzle.com It is a great product, easy, quick and it really works! (12/13/2007)

By LeAnn

Cleaning Dirty Tile
Homemade Tile and Grout Cleaner Recipes
installing tile
Removing Grout From Tiles
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Ceramic Tile Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄